How to Choose the Best Youth Baseball Helmet which is Safe and Durable?
Baseball games are fun to play but players’ safety is an essential requirement of the game. We need to select the best youth baseball helmets that are safe and provide complete protection to the players. When a player is inside a batter’s box the most important safety gear for him is a batting helmet. Because only good quality youth baseball helmets can prevent unforeseen accidents and sudden injuries.
- There are so many options available while selecting a batting helmet for youth. But before investing in any of the options we need to carefully examine a few factors. If a price is a constraint then do realize the fact that better price tags mean superior quality and nothing is precious than your child’s safety.
- The helmets with high prices usually come with superior impact padding with energy absorption and have more comfort. The baseball helmet with fewer prices has super bulky padding that is capable to absorb the impact but doesn’t provide the same level of comforts.
- One needs to buy the best Youth baseball helmets that are in the right size and offer reasonable comfort. We offer a complete buying guide for batting helmets to protect the player. Let’s dig in the essential points we need to consider before ordering helmets for baseball.
Five factors are very important to find out the right baseball helmets for youths :
Select a Baseball Helmet with Good Quality Chin Straps
- Good chin straps are essential for helmets, never buy a helmet with chin straps, because if it not well fit it can divert your attention during the game, the help will shake without a well-fitted chin strap.
- Always carefully examine the chin strap quality and size
Select Helmets for Baseball with Efficient Ear Guards
- For maximum protection, most of the Baseball leagues on college and youth levels encourages the participant players to wear the helmet that covers the ear.
- This helps in guarding the player before, after, and during they enter the ground. Covering both the ears can be made difficult for players to hear everything around. But this is a little compromise one has to make as a precautionary measure.
- There is a “one flap” batting helmet available in the market for the leagues which doesn’t require the players to cover both ears. Before buying “one flap” baseball helmets for face guards, make sure the flap should be over the ear and it should face directly the pitcher.
Baseball Helmets with Able Faceguard
- There are so many manufacturers which have different design of baseball helmets that supports faceguard for additional defense.
- There are many players who didn’t opt for faceguard in the beginning or later stages, so it is better to buy a helmet in which later you can install faceguard, always prefer buying faceguard and helmets of the same brand or manufacturer.
Buy Baseball Helmet to Protect your Jaw Guards, Sizing is vital
- Before you purchase the batting helmet, please make sure that you are buying the right size. There has to be a right balance between comfort and security. Before buying make sure to take measurements of your head circumference right above your ears with the help of a cloth measuring tapes.
- The helmet you have is a little bigger in size then you can get a padding kit to protect your jaws and face. Never buy an ill-fit baseball helmet for youths.
- There is an easy way to test whether the baseball helmets are appropriate in size or not, simply shake your head a little if the helmets move a lot then change it, a right size is very crucial.
- I have a couple of simple tricks to suggest: for superior protection, please buy a batting helmet that sits approx, 1 inch above the eyebrows, it should never point up or down. It should cover the head evenly.
- Avoid buying a helmet that shifts downwards because it fails to give supports to your back of the head. Also, the helmet should not point upwards, it should always be in parallel with the ground. Because it is pointing upwards, your forehead is exposed and there are high probabilities of the ball hitting you! So be cautious about the sizing while choosing a helmet.
Best Youth Baseball Helmets 2020
1 – Rawlings Coolflo Youth T Ball Youth baseball Helmet
⇒ Rawlings Coolflo T-Ball Batting Helmet has a stylish aerodynamic look that makes your kids look cool and provide proper comfort. The Coolflo venting system has breathability and solace.
⇒ It is built as per standards and meets the guidelines of NOCSAE as a baseball helmet faceguard. The front logo is easily removable. It is a perfect fit for kids aged between 6 to 8 years.
⇒ It provides complete protection and safety. With it’s molded finish and clear coat, it definitely meets all the standards of NOCSAE. A perfect batting helmet with pre-drilled for Rowling NOCSAE approved face guards.
⇒ This baseball helmet is equipped with dual protection foam. The size is available within the range of 6 1/4” – 7 1/8”. This is a very apt batting helmet for T-ball players. If your kids play for a team that offers a sharing helmet which is not advisable at all, then you should buy this Coolflo Youth T-ball batting helmet.
⇒ This has perfect fit and durability in nature can last really long, later it can be used for softball games as well. This might seem pricey but nothing is more expensive than your child’s health. Safety precautions are essential. This batting helmet is appropriate for entry-level players and little league players.
- The C-flap can be put on in this helmet but it does require drilling holes. The pads are thick and there is ample space at the back, good for players with ponytails.
- This is a perfect batting helmet intensity that absorbs heat and is good for protection. The air vents keep the player cool and dry, no sweat at all. It is available in petite sizes.
- This is absolutely an amazing product with a reasonable market price. All batting helmets of Rowlings are designed to aim at a specific consumer segment. This batting helmet is lightweight and meant for T-ball young players. The designs and the price is justifiable because of its high quality and durability.
This batting helmet has a sleek look and stylish design, meant to lure the young players. This batting helmet has numerous pros, let’s discuss:
- The coolflo design is so traditional and eye-catching.
- It meets all the Nocsae standards and has been pre-drilled Rawlings case approved Face Guards
- It has an ABS plastic shell with clear coat and molded finishing
- The batter’s protection is a number one priory
- Ideal for T-ball players
- The coat is closure to molded finish, it has a glossy look but not shiny
- It is only available in one size
- Rowling doesn’t sell faceguard for this batting helmet
A perfect youth T-ball batting helmet with CoolFlo Venting technology. Meant for younger players. The foam has a dual intensity that provides maximum protection.for youths. It has a double ear design, also pre-drilled for face guards. This batting helmet has snaps that can be used with chin straps. It has a comfortable fitting plus foam with a dual.
2 – Easton Z5 2.0 Baseball Batting Helmet Matte Finish
⇒ Easton is a popular brand when it comes to baseball and softball. There are many batting helmets from this brand which has been a crowd-pleaser. The products assure safety and high quality. Moreover, the price range is absolutely justifiable, all the batting helmets of Easton and its sports accessories are as per American Safety Standards.
⇒ The Easton Z5 2.0 Baseball batting helmet has a padded foam liner which is dual-density and excellent to absorb the shocks during impact.
⇒ It has an ABS shell with great impact resistance which is designed to support maximum protection. It also has a unique inner liner that has BioDri pads that makes the player feel so cool and airy. No sweat at all. The earpads are wrapped that is an additional comfort for the player and also prevent the regular wear and tear of the helmet throughout the year. The design of the batting helmet is for youth.
⇒ This baseball helmet prevents injuries and makes the player look so stylish and stand out in the crowd. The design of the batting helmet for youth is so fresh. It is one of the best batting helmets available in the market. It meets all the specific safety standards of NOCSAE.
⇒ Also, the sizes available are both junior and senior players. This is the reason it’s been one of the well-known baseball batting helmets these days.
- The size available is various range JR: 6 -1/2 – 7-1/8, SR: 7-1/8 – 7-½
- The color has matte two-tone finishing
- It has compatibility with different brands for facemask and jaw guards such as Universal Baseball Softball Mask 2.0, Universal Baseball Softball Mask, Universal Softball Only Mask 2.0
- This is an excellent batting helmet jaw guard protection for the player
- The ABS shell is high intensity and impact resistant that is best for maximum protection from injuries
- The inner foam liner with dual intensity for maximum comfort and breath
- The Biodri in this ultimate batting helmets absorbs moisture
- For high durability, it has wrapped ear pads.
- The logo of the Easton on the batting helmet can be removed later
- It has a reliable protection
- The internal liner absorbs shocks and prevents sudden injuries
- Protects the player from high impact pitch ball
- The shell is very tough and resistant
- The price, when compared to other brands, is not much high
- The sizes are varied, very comfortable for both juniors and seniors.
- The look is so stylish with matt finish
- Lightweight and comfortable
- The logo of the Easton is sometimes very hard to remove
- The sizes can be varied and fit can be a problem sometimes
- No jaw guard come with it
- Limited warranty period
Every product has pros and cons, we need to carefully select a batting helmet that provides complete protection. The injuries are certain but with the right quality, we can assure the safety of the players.
3 – MACH Matte youth baseball Helmets with Extension Flap (Junior/Senior)
⇒ Injuries are common in sports. Whether it’s football players or NBA stars, everyone is susceptible to injuries and in absence of good sporting gear, a player can hurt himself. In baseball, the batting helmets have been improved in design with every passing year. Mach Matt Batting Helmets with Extension Flaps are amazing and provide full coverage to the player’s face and jaw.
⇒ Baseball players can easily get a facial injury or concussions. There is no batting helmet for youth that guarantees to avoid concussions but looking out for a safe and durable baseball batting helmet for our kids or ourselves is very important to ensure their safety.
⇒ Let’s discuss the primary features, pros, and cons of buying this helmet. So that one could get a clear picture of its durability and effectiveness.
⇒ These days the pitcher’s ball is faster and players have a high probability to get hit. The Rawlings Mach EXT Batting Helmet is designed to face the fastball. This batting helmet has high performance, it has IMPAX padding which easily absorbs and disseminates force for the overall protection.
⇒ The helmet’s striking feature is the flap extension. This batting helmet protects the jaw and face. Doesn’t matter whether your little player is righty or lefty, the flap can be changed and your kid can enter the playground with full confidence.
- Rawlings MACH Batte Batting Helmets are NOCSAE certified.
- High-performance helmet padding, IMPAX which disseminates the forces.
- The adjustable flaps for both lefty and righty players
- Multiple ventilation holes for air circulation
- Removable jaw guards, it offers extra visibility and protection
- Both versions are available for the left and right-handed batter.
- Around the head, it provides a barrier for ultimate protection
- Efficient shock-absorbing material
- This is available in varied sizes both for juniors and seniors
- Very high in quality batting helmet for youth
- Due to extension flap, face protection is maximum
- No vision obstruction due to jaw guard
- Thinner foam and cushioning
- No skin irritation on this batting helmet
- Fabric liner absorbs heat
- Many say this is not a youth size helmet, due to varied sizes.
- It is costlier than the available helmets with face guards and jaw guard
- The fitting can be little grim
- Thinner internal cushions
- Every product has its own pros and cons, but we need to be cautious about the benefits we are getting. If your main agenda is to safeguard the face from fast pitches then this baseball helmet is definitely a smart option, though the price is on the higher side, nothing is expensive then the safety of your child or yourself.
- Measurement of the athlete’s head circumference plays a vital role, so before deciding on a batting helmet do the measurements. Also, pay attention to the features of the batting helmet. MACH Matte Batting Helmets for youth will provide ample protection to face from the high pitch and high impact balls. Safety is essential and no player should risk their lives.
4 -DeMarini Paradox Protege Pro Batting Helmet with Mask
⇒ It is important for new players to protect their heads when in the batter’s box.DeMarini is one of the trusted brands when it comes to a baseball batting helmet. So let’s look into the DeMarini Paradox Protege Pro Batting Helmet with Mask and its features. And be assured to give your kid this batting helmet which provides maximum safety.
⇒ In youth leagues, the pitchers got tons of velocity but no control, in that risky scenario, it is utmost essential to protect the player’s head. This particular batting helmet is superb and very nicely protects the head of the player. This batting helmet absorbs the toughest impacts and keeps the player feel cool and comfortable inside.
⇒ This helmet design is impressive. It has a bill that offers maximum sightlines and inner padding that all the players just adore. You can enter the batter’s box without any hesitation with this batting helmet.
⇒ The DeMarini Paradox Protege Pro Batting Helmet is a super stylish looking batting helmet for youth. It comes in varied sizes for senior and junior players. The sizes available are Youth (6 1/2 and below), S/M (6 3/8-7 1/8), and L/XL (7-7 5/8). It has an internal dual-density padded foam which provides excellent comfort.
- This is absolutely a nice helmet but it does not have face masks.
- Perfect size to fit.
- The visor seemed to be higher and shorter so you could see the ball coming.
- No chin strap attached but later can be bought.
- The color is attractive
- Strategically placed valves with improved air circulation
- Low profile with superior fit
- The glossy finish is one of the plus points.
- It comes with the warranty
5 -Rawlings Coolflo Molded Baseball Batting Helmet
⇒ It has NOCSAE standards Molded finish traditional COOLFLO design which is Pre-drilled aimed for face defend. It was initially worn by way of all Best League Baseball athletes later everyone started using it by all Best League Baseball athletes. Rawlings Coolflo fashions have redefined the criteria of Conventional helmet design.
⇒ If you are an athlete who needs a helmet with a longtime historical past of excellence alongside professional-impressed attributes then you should buy this Coolflo helmet. It has a Conventional COOLFLO design and a Traditional COOLFLO layout. The makers have pre-drilled for NOCSAE licensed and have face guards pre-drilled for NOCSAE licensed face guards. It has a molded finish.
⇒ The product comes in different colors such as Black, Dark Green, Navy, Royal, Scarlet, White but available only in one size. Helmet fitment is very much essential to the operation of a helmet during an impact on player’s safety. For the helmet to perform correctly during an impact, the helmet must remain on the head of the player.
⇒ A small tip on how to take the correct measurements. A small metal tape measure or a cloth tape may be used to make your first measurement. You may also use a cord, which can subsequently be set against a measuring tape. Take several measurements. The greatest measurement is the one you need to use.
Features of the Helmet:
- It has a Fits hat size of 6-1/2 – 7-1/2
- This can be used for both baseball or softball
- This Rawling helmet has a Coolflo design
- It comes with a Molded finish
- Its has EVA dual-density foam
- Also, it has an added side crown padding
- This helmet includes attached chin strap snaps
- It meets NOCSAE standards
- The Rawlings RCFH Coolflo helmet is a cost-effective helmet
- It offers the style and safety you demand of your young baseball or softball players.
- The Coolflo design helps keep players cool and dry while playing.
- The dual-density EVA foam provides comfort and maximum protection and is NOCSEA approved.
- There are cheaper options available in the market with other manufactures, the helmet comes in one size only. It has one tone.
- The Rawlings Coolflo molded baseball batting helmet has been built by considering the safety of the players. It has a faceguard and is made as per the NOCSAE Standard, this means it can handle even the hardest knocks without cracking under pressure.
- Also by using its revolutionary COOLFLO venting technology, this breathable helmet will make you feel comfortable and you can perform in the game with ease and comfort.
- The manufactures have different types of helmet available in the market but this design has been very popular among youths, it comes with reasonable pricing that helps the helmet on its growing popularity.
6 -Rawlings Sporting Goods Highlighter Series best Softball Helmet
⇒ The Rawlings Highlighter Softball Helmet is a batting helmet with COOLFLO technology which tends to creates an excellent venting system and has a stylish design. It does not only look amazing but also provides great comfort. The RCFH Highlighter is NOCSAE approved and comes with a model SB1WG faceguard already attached. It has a Rawlings Traditional Coolflo
⇒ With SB1WG faceguard attached and also a matte paint finish. It is apt for collegiate and high school games.No doubt it meets all the standards of NOCSAE.
⇒ The Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, Inc. is a renowned manufacturer of sporting goods in the United States, they market their own goods. The company was founded in 1887, Rawlings’ mission has always focussed on ensuring participation by developing and producing equipment and protective apparel for the professional, amateur and entry-level player especially baseball and softball. This helmet is one of their popular range.
Unique Features of the Helmet
- The size of the helmet is around 8″ high
- It has made from the highest quality materials
- It is perfect for baseball protective gear batting helmets
- One of the popular helmets of the brand Rawlings
- Rawlings’ Coolflo technology, was first manufactured in the year 2006, since then it has revolutionized batting helmet protection with its perfect venting system and sleek and sleek aerodynamic look. It was initially worn by all Major League Baseball athletes.
- This has been solely made for the athlete who desiring a helmet with an established history of excellence along with pro-inspired attributes, Rawlings Coolflo models redefine the standards of traditional helmet design. It has a traditional COOLFLO design. It comes with pre-drilled for NOCSAE approved face guards. The finish is molded.
7 – Rawlings R16 Series Metallic Youth Baseball Helmet Faceguard
⇒ Are you looking for a comfortable but yet stylish helmet the Rawling R16 Metallic base helmet is the must-buy? It has an eye-catching finish and got an amazingly comfortable fit, the new Rawlings Velo series has the super perfect style and finishes.
⇒ This Velo series has been designed with 16 individual vents that optimizes air-flow and circulation because of that the players while gaming sessions stay cool and dry.
⇒ If you are worried about the fit and sizes available then you no need to think because this series is available for both senior players and junior players as well. This R16 Rawling helmet is perfect for the young athletes that want to flash some style at the plate.
- This helmet comes with Junior Sizing – 6 3/8″ – 7 1/8″
- The name of this unique series is Rawlings R16
- This helmet comes with a Metallic paint finish
- The fitting range is very good, almost fit to any players, refer to the available sizes such as Senior (S)- 6 7/8 – 7 5/8, Junior (J) – 6 3/8 – 7 1/35
- This helmet just like any other Rawling baseball helmet meets NOCSAE standards
- The cool fact is that it has 23 vent designs featuring exclusive Coolflo, 16 style venting, and Heat Exchange technologies that are very unique and modern.
- The presence of heat Exchange vents helps in instantly circulate cooler ambient air as Result it enhances an overall cooling effect of its innovative design features
- Similar to other baseball helmets of the same manufacturers, it meets NOCSAE same old standards.
- This look is very attractive, it comes with metal paint.
- It has scientifically designed warm trade vents that abruptly flow into cooler, ambient air
- It also comes with good quality wrapped jaw pads for more convenience and ease.
- Helmet fit is much important during an impact. The helmet needs to be of the correct fit and size. Measuring the head is very important for the entire sizing procedure.
- Get yourself a small size metal tape measure or a cloth tape for your very first head measurement. You can also try a cord, then place this in front of a measuring tape to know the size of your head, accordingly, you can purchase the helmet.
- Do not forget to take several Take measurements before getting a confirmed size. Because you will be using the helmet during the game so it’s very important for your safety and impact.
- This baseball helmet is attractive and safe for players. A cool product from a renowned brand like “Rawlings”
8 – DeMarini Paradox Protege Pro youth baseball Helmet faceguard
⇒ The DeMarini is a very trusted manufacturer, they are a renowned player in the field of fitness gears, their on of the most popular baseball batting helmet is the newly launched Paradox Protege Batting Helmet which has designed and crafted with padding that is dual-density which significantly helps to protect your dome and the carefully drafted strategic venting system offers you to keep your cool.
⇒ The airflow, sizing, and durability along with looks and comforts matter’s a lot when players are looking to buy a baseball helmet. This helmet is meant to lure you, the price is reasonable compare to the other brands with similar features and looks.
- The DeMarini Paradox Protege helmet has strategically designed vents that help to maximize airflow that keeps the player cool
- There are sizes available for adult and young players such as YH (6 1/2 and Below), S/M (6 3/8 – 7 1/8), L/XL (7 – 7 5/8)
- This helmet has dual-density padding that perfectly fit the size of the player’s head and safeguards during impact.
- The manufacturer’s main aim to design the product is to increase airflow.
- Another striking feature is a low profile shell for an amazing fit
- Refer to the varied size chart before ordering one for you.
- Head circumference is very important, so before buying this baseball helmet simply take the size of your head.
- This helmet fit is perfect for people having large heads.
- The shell of the helmet has hard durable plastic and it has a foam padding that helps in giving a snug fit without making the player feel uncomfortable.
- Pads are securely glued to the shell of the helmet and it will never comes-off,
- The product comes with a reasonable price
- At such a nice price it is difficult to get any other helmet with similar features. Good and pocket friendly! A lot better than cheap models available at local athlete stores.
Overall this helmet has a superior design and cool feature along with a stylish look. The DeMarini Paradox Batting Helmet is a helmet designed by the best of the industry people. It appeals to all sets of age groups. Any ballplayer will appreciate the helmet’s profile. The bill of the baseball helmet offers optimal sightlines and the fit of the padding you will love the most. Most importantly, you can not play your games in a confident way inside a batter’s box because it is made as per NOCSAE standards that guarantee complete protection from sudden injuries. The dual-density padding of this helmet is covered with antimicrobial fabric with selected team colors., also the helmet has a glossy finish look. It keeps your head cool, and a low shell guarantees a superior and perfect fit!
How Baseball Helmets are Different from Softball Helmets?
- Baseball helmets and Softball helmets for youth are designed to protect and safeguards the players. Many times we get confused between the differences of a Baseball Helmet and a Softball Helmet. In simple terms, the softball helmet covers both the ears whereas the baseball helmet covers only one ear. That ear has to be the one closest to the catcher.
- There are major similarities between a baseball and a softball but lots of differences also. The batting helmets for youth are designed to protect them, but different leagues have varied rules.
- So if your child loves to play baseball then you need to be aware of the different designs of baseball helmets readily available in the market.
- The softball and baseball helmets are different in many ways: let’s explore a few of the interesting differences.
Extra holes at the back
- The softball helmets for youth have either an extra space or a hole at the back of the helmet for “ponytails”. Whereas the batting helmets for baseball doesn’t have such design at the back.
Baseball Helmets With Face Guard
- The major differences between a batting helmet for baseball and softball helmets are “face mask”. Softball helmets are designed to have either a metal or plastic face mask connected to the helmet.
- These days, in few college games it is not mandatory to wear a facemask but in other leagues and different levels of fastpitch, it’s most widely a standard to use a batting helmet with a facemask.
- Whereas on the other hand, in a Baseball game, the batting helmet has no such rules, and players don’t require to follow any specific guidelines related to baseball helmet face guards.
Can we wear a baseball helmet for a softball game?
- There are many similarities between baseball and softball helmets such as dual-ear protection covers, face masks, and visors. The one major distinction between batting helmets is that in Baseball helmets only one ear is covered, whereas in Softball helmets both ears are covered.
- There is also a difference in the face mask design patterns. Since the rule of the leagues varies, don’t forget that if you’re interchanging helmets they fit properly, and comply with the rule and guidelines of the leagues.
- Lots of people mistakenly think that since the fields and the equipment of both the game look similar, baseball and softball are not different sports. But this is not true fact There are major differences in both the games.
- Let your child decide what games he wants to play! Sportsman spirit is essential to become a successful sportsperson but at the same time the security is also very important, so choose wisely all the sports equipment. Next time your child is playing, simply increase his confidence by gifting him a baseball batting helmet that is safe and stylish.
Modifications in the design of Youth Baseball helmets
⇒ There has been a series of modifications in the baseball helmets from 1960 to 2000. During 1960, Jim Lemon was the first person to wear a helmet with both ears covered (earflaps) that can stand a ball coming at a speed of 120 miles per hour in the Major League Games. This was a significant incident because afterward from 1961, there have been major modifications.
⇒ Now, most of the leagues including Minor League Baseball need the use of a double earflap batting helmet. In Major League Baseball, one can only one earflap is required (for the ear closest to the pitcher).
⇒ From last year since 2018, many popular Major League Players such as Mike Trout and Bryce Harper have started wearing C flap, it is attached with the earflap that covers the jaw. This C flap has been discovered by Markwort. This C-flap has drawn millions of eyeballs and become very popular in all the Major Leagues of Baseball.
⇒ This led to renowned batting manufacturers Rawling and Easton to manufacture baseball batting helmets with C-flaps.
Maintenance Measures for a Youth Baseball Helmets
- Proper storage of baseball gear is very important. Especially baseball helmets with jaw guard and face guard protections, never leave your helmet out in the sun, it will cause overheating and that may break the helmet later because it becomes hard due to overheating.
- Always store the helmet and its accessories in a protective case to use it in the long run. Any accidental damage can be avoided if you store it carefully.
- These helmets are designed to withstand a ball traveling with a speed of 90mph, baseball helmets for youths can protect you for long years but you need to preserve them very efficiently.
- We have reviewed in detail so far how many variations of batting helmets with jaw guards, face guards, etc are available in the market, these baseball helmets for youth is extremely essential for safety and protection.
- We need to be cautious while selecting a batting helmet for our children. Skull is the most vital part of the human body, so proper protection is needed. Always select a batting helmet that provides a proper shield.
- So far we have discussed what factors we need to rely upon to choose the helmet for baseball, Many people think they can use the same helmet for baseball and softball. Though both the game is similar, both sports have sporting gears that are similar-looking but with minor differences.
- In the case of helmets, both softball and baseball have batting gears to protect the head of the player, but batting helmets have few features that are different for both the sports.
- The ear covers, space at the back, face guards, etc are few features of the batting helmets which are essential for a softball sport but not required in a baseball helmet.
- There is a large number of websites where you can compare the helmets of different shapes and sizes and choose as per your requirements. Please pay special attention to the features, maintenance, and durability. The hallmark of NOCSAE’s Logo is also important to look at when you are placing an order. This provides the authenticity and quality of the helmet.