The Baseball Game
Baseball is a game played with the help of the bat and a ball on a diamond-shaped field between two teams .one team bats at a time and score run and another team does balling.there are 9 players in each team and four umpires who observe the game carefully and make decisions about winning and losing. The diamond-shaped field has four corners which are called bases.
The home base from where batter plays, to the right of it, is the right base .base opposite to the home base is at the top of the infield, and the last base is at the left of the home base which completes the four corners. The game is played in 9 innings. the player who bats is called batter and the player who balls is called pitcher.
How the baseball is played
A professional baseball game is played in a total of 9 innings. Every turn has a turn to do batting and make runs, making one complete run. the Pitcher’s team has to defend and stop them from making a run and get the three players of batting team out.
When the defending team gets three players out, then their turn comes when they bat and try to score more runs .now the team which was batting will do balling against the defending team and does the same thing pf preventing the batting team to break their score limit. The team which has made more runs till the completion of 9 innings wins the match.
The Baseball History: Baseball ‘national pastime’ in America
Baseball, a beloved sport of Americans who proclaim it as their “national pastime” was officially originated in the United States to obtain cultural congruence in a culturally diverse country of America a need for the national sport.
We realized like many other countries and hence baseball came into limelight. Soon this game became the ‘native American sport’. The importance of baseball in us was evident in the 1930 depression period when professionals from the leagues founded the national baseball of fame and museum. Which became a holy pilgrimage and homage to the bygone heroes.
Evolution of baseball
It was believed that conventional ball and stick games were transformed to make many other sports of present times like cricket, golf, and baseball was one of its products. Origin of baseball is traced from the older sport ‘rounders’ played in Great Britain and Ireland. Rounders was originated in England as per the research lately done by David block. Block in his research stated that the first recorded baseball game was played in 1749 in surrey. It was recorded by William Bray, a British lawyer in surrey.
Baseball emerged as a sport in England by the 1750’s .migrants from Canada brought this sport to North America and it was popularized in other parts of America by early 1800. Many other countries of East Asia and Central America also adopted baseball like a regular sport activity by the late 19th century. The popularity of this sport as an official event can be traced back in 1871 when the very first league named the national association of professional baseball players was formed followed by American league in 1901. the first world series was played in 1903 and by 1905 it had become a yearly event.
Rules of the game
- The game has a total of 9 innings.in case no one stands to win and there is a tie of scores between the team then extra inning is played to decide the winning game.
- Each team should have 9 players each . the defending team is the one who is balling and the position for its players are a pitcher (player who balls), the catcher (player who stands behind the batter ), first baseman (who stands at first base), second baseman, third baseman, shortstop,3 fielders at left field, center field and right field.
- Batting order remains unaltered throughout the game, ones it is decided.
- The batter must touch the first base after hitting the ball, then if they are able to make it to other bases then they should touch other bases to make a complete run before being tagged out.
- Batter’s body or part of his body must touch every base while running past.
- A batter gets a total of 3 strikes that are 3 chances of missing the ball, if he misses the ball thrice then he is deemed out. strike means missing the ball while swinging the bat to hit the ball coming from the pitcher. even if the batter does not swing the ball but the ball was within the strike region, then also it will be considered a strike.
- If the ball goes beyond the strike zone four times and the batter does not swing the ball then the batter can walk to first base.
- The batter while being on a base, can run to the next base at any point.
- Players are dismissed in the following cases :
- ‘strike out’: batsman missing the ball thrice
- ‘Force out’: batsman failing to make to the base before the defensive player
- ‘Fly-out’: the ball is hit in the air and being caught by the player of defending team before the ball bounces on the ground
- ‘Tag out: defensive player tags the batsman with the ball whilst they are running
- The bat is made of wood or aluminum or metal materials.
2. The ball which is white in color with red stitching on it measures 3 inches in diameter
3.‘Mitts’ an oversized glove worn by the players of the fielding team to catch the ball.
4. Mitts with extra padding worn by the catcher from the defending team.
5. Leg guards, a body pad and helmet
Some important names related to the game
Father of the baseball Abner Doubleday
George babe Ruth Greatest home-run hitter
Hank Aaron Home run hitter holding a record of making 755 home runs of his career
Jackie Robinson The first African American
Lou Gehrig ‘The iron horse’ played a total of 2130 games consecutively and winner triple crown in 1934
Mickey Mantle Won 7 world series titles with the Yankees