A good, powerful welding machine can make it easier and more convenient to handle welding operations. TIG welders are used often for welding thinner metals or in extremely cosmetic applications, which need strict control of heat. With the progress of welding applications and technology, TIG welding is fast becoming popular.
It offers clean and fast welding with very less amount of smoke and minus any spatter. While looking for a TIG Welder, you need to consider a wide variety of factors. It is much more than just looking at the appearance or price point. You need to choose a welder that is fit for your purpose, is strong and durable and has the best price tag for your budget.
There are various TIG welders available today, for professionals as well as hobbyists. Read on and know about some of the best TIG welders available on the market, and how to choose the best ones among them.
Tig Welder Review
1.TIG Welder, Dynasty 200 SD
- This is a perfect welder for various purposes, such as ship/boat, mechanical getting, manufacturing, aviation and various other projects. It offers better overall performance on almost any type of input voltage.
- The equipment lets you vary the real wave frequency by 250Hz. Thus, when raising its actual frequency, you can have a more focused arc. Thus, it offers a smoother performance. Even when you weld stainless steel or other metals, there is as much smoothness as when you weld lightweight aluminum. This is the best TIG welder for stainless steel.
- It has an air conditioning system with a Fan-On-Demand feature, which can operate whenever you need.
2. Hobart 500551
- This welder is highly versatile and can be used for various types of welding and a wide variety of applications. It has an invert-based power source, which prevents it from consuming a lot of power. It offers a more consistent welding arc.
- It is just 23 kg or 50 pounds in total weight and you can move it conveniently without the need for any other individual.
- One of the TIG welders, it can weld really well and can be ideal for anyone who wants to handle light to moderate welding tasks.
3. LONGEVITY Tigweld 200sx
- The device has a stick welder with 200 Amp rating. It is easily portable and you can easily move it around for welding in different areas. You can use it to weld on 220 V as well as 110 V power.
- The unit can be plugged into a 5000-watt generator to weld in remote or rural locations. It can weld 6013, 7018 and various other types of stick welding electrodes.
- It has a foot pedal to control TIG welding and operations and comes with high frequency start TIG as well. You can weld aluminum by flipping a switch in air conditioning mode. This is the exact TIG welder for aluminum.
4. Lotos LTPDC2000D
- It comes from Lotos Technology, a prestigious name in the manufacturing of arc (MMA) welding, TIG/stick, and plasma cutting equipment.
- It can cut any type of metal up to a thickness of ½ inch. It has 50 Amp plasma cutting ability and has a 60% duty cycle at maximum amps for any activity.
- It has a bigger TIG welding torch, with short and well as long caps. With 50 Hz / 60 Hz input power frequency, it performs very well. It must be noted that the performance is better at 60 Hz.
- Although it is designed for DIY enthusiasts and commercial users, it can satisfy the needs of even professional welders.
5. 2018 AHP AlphaTIG 200 X 200 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig
Of course, this is one of the Best TIG welders which is known as the legitimately powerful machine that is available with 38 lbs. It is very easy to handle both AC/DC and can also vary between 1/4″ aluminum and 3/8″ mild steel. Moreover, it is considered to be the best IGBT inverter along with features and hence send it to have high-frequency startup. Being a 200DX provided with 110v as well as 220v which makes it more flexible. It is affordable tig welder that also offers incredibly good performance. The price of the product is also reasonable which makes it and more stable in terms of everything. It offers more than 60% cycle duty at 200A and is the best product available in the markets.
- The product is available with 5 years warranty.
- It is available at a budget-friendly price.
- You will find TIG (AC/DC) and Stick welding capabilities that makes you more comfortable to work with.
- It truly has more compiled control and it is very heavy in weight.
6. Square Wave® TIG 200 TIG Welder K5126-1
Well this is one of the best brand manufacturing high quality of vendors. However the product is best suitable for both AC and DC TIG capabilities as it is considered to be the most powerful stick welding ability and is more comfortable to work with. Perhaps it has high frequency startup that can also very easily adjust the settings and frequency as well. This is an inverter based design that will perfectly match with the power and is more possible. The affordable tig welder is well suitable even for small buildings and is also accommodate stick welding capability especially for outdoor work. The dimensions of this product are 20*20*13 inches and the weight is 73.2 pounds. Therefore it is very convenient to use and is also well designed. Moreover it has a standard 120V circuit or 230V for maximum output.
- The product is very easy to use and you can also explore productive creativity.
- This is best tig welder for the money and can be considered as well suitable for both tig and stick.
- You can carry it anywhere and can very easily plug it and use.
- While welding thick materials you need to take extra care.
How to Choose the Best TIG Welder?
You need to consider various factors while choosing the TIG welders
- Look for a welder with the widest amperage range at an affordable price. A TIG welder with a very narrow range of amperage can severely restrict the variety of materials that you can weld.
- Those with 5 – 230 Amp range can offer you the flexibility required for welding on thin materials, like aluminum with ¼ inch thickness or 24-Gauge stainless steel.
AC and DC welding
- In case you want to weld materials apart from stainless steel or steel, the TIG welder has to offer DC (direct current) as well as AC (alternating current) options. For instance, you need to use AC for welding magnesium, aluminum, and other soft, self-oxidizing metals.
- You will require DC for welding deoxidized copper, stainless steel, steel and other hard metals.
- For proper TIG welding, heat control is an important factor. Control of the heat input on thinner materials can lower the metal warping. Pulse welding can control heat input into weld without any sacrificing of weld penetration.
- Pulsed TIG welding makes welders alternate between a lower background current and a higher peak current. This helps maintain the arc and allows cooling of the welded joint.
Ease of use
- TIG welding involves a lot of skills although that does not mean that it should be complex in usage.
- Look for ones that are user-friendly and come with controls that can easily be understood.
Foot amperage controls
- Those with foot amperage controls are important, particularly for aluminum welds.
- More amperage is needed for making the process simpler and letting users reduce or increase the welding amperage as required.
- Many TIG welders have additional features that can increase their longevity and durability.
- Look for those with a cooling fan, which can run constantly to keep the welder cool. Or you can choose one with a fan that runs once the welder heats up and a thermostat is tripped.
Removable TIG torch
- You should also choose the TIG welders that come with a removable TIG torch that can be changed fast. At times, during TIG welding, you might like to change your torch to lightweight and smaller torch, a pencil torch or a longer torch for dealing with different types of welding operations.
- In case the torch is wired permanently to the welder, you will have to do with just one type of torch.
Types of TIG Welders
TIG Welders can be typically classified into 5 main types:
1. Power I-TIG 200
- It is the TIG welder for the money and ideal for portable fabrication and repair. It offers a stable DC arc. You can run it on most of the modern generator welders. It can easily handle mild steel and stainless steel. Its full panel control and pulse control makes it perfect for operating extended length torches in any place.
- With the stable and smooth arc of the SMAW or stick function and along with arc force control, it offers a substitute to TIG in less than ideal situations.
- It usually arrives with all the accessories that matter, such as regulator, cables, torch and foot pedal.
2. Power TIG 200 DX
- It is the best choice for hobbyists as well as professional welders and sets a benchmark with its performance and power.
- Welders looking for the best affordable TIG welder as well as professionals demanding reliability, features and power can be satisfied by what the Power TIG 200DX has on offer.
- With easily understandable color-coded controls, digital readout that allows precise amperage controls setting, adjustable weld parameters that allow 4t and 2t operations and smooth, stable arc, this is an industry-leading option.
3. Power TIG 225 LX
- It is a commercial grade TIG welder and comes with Stick (SMAW) and AC/DC pulse TIG (GTAW-P) welding ability. For many welding professionals, it is the daily welding equipment of choice. It comes with 60% duty cycle, which is better than any of its competitors in the segment.
- This is a compact and lightweight welder, designed like the moduled IGBT inverter, and no special wheel kit or large roll-around box is required for the equipment. You will only need to grab the large carry handle to take it from one place to another, and move it through compact spaces such as airplane fuselages and narrow pipes.
- This is a heavy duty welder, and can easily handle steel, aluminum, and stainless steel.
4. Power TIG 250 EX
- It is great for commercial as well as industrial applications and boasts of wonderful arc stability and easy arc starting ability. It has an IGBT lightweight module design and can outpace any transformer equipment with ease.
- It sets a new industry standard and comes with features like a spot weld timer, broad AC balance control, HF/Lift arc function, High pulse frequency, and Arc Force control.
5. Power TIG 315 DX
- This is a commercial grade, heavy duty welder with features like AC frequency controls, foot pedal controlled welding and Pulse welding function.
- It has a compact and rugged design and is direct and simple in operations.
- When you are trying to buy the TIG welders, you should look for more than affordability. Consider the TIG process as well as quality, type of welding results, durability and arc efficiency.
- A removable, quick-change TIG Torch is also essential when you need a pencil, small or larger torch for various TIG welding operations and locations, such as in smaller areas that are harder to access. Beyond this, you will also require a high-quality welder having the excellent controls, amperage range, and adaptability.
- That said, the price should be an important consideration as well. The cost can range from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars, depending on the brand, parameters, features, and type of equipment. The best cheap TIG welder for hobbyist welders come in less than 500 USD while those for professional grade works are around 1000 USD. You need to buy one that fits your pocket and also matches your purpose perfectly.
What Is TIG Welding?
Before I explain to you what is Tig weld let’s give you a ride back in time. Earlier when the short pulsed electric arc by Humphry Davy in the 1800 followed by the discovery of continuous electric arc by Vasily Petrov and not too later than that the arc welding slowly and steadily was brought to the light by C.L Coffin who was successful in brainstorming the concept of the use of welding in an inert gas atmosphere in 1890. When it came to weld with nonferrous materials such as magnesium as well as aluminum always turned out to be a nightmare as these metals always were reactive to air. The situation was handled with the use of bottled inert gases in the early 1930’s and a few years later than that a direct current enabled gas shielded welding technique came into existence as it was used to weld magnesium.
Ok so what is Tigweldthe word TIG stands for Tungsten Inert Gas, commonly known as TIG welding and this word has originated from United States Of America (USA). Tungsten which is also referred as wolfram basically a metal which has an extremely high melting point of 3300oC which depicts that the tungsten has twice as more than the fusion point than the regular materials which are welded. Inert Gas and Inactive gases are just one and the same which is a gas that never tries to combine with other materials.
In Germany, the (TIG) Tungsten Inert Gas welding is better known as WIG which stands for wolfram inert gas welding. There lie many ways and types of welding and you have to know what is tig welding, among the TIG or also called WIG carries the International standardized position of welding methods. And also it is mandatory to adopt the filler material which is added either manually as a bare wire. In the welding course the electrode the welded process which is protected very well against the detrimental effects of atmospheric air by inert gas shielding. Gas Tungsten Arc welding better known as HeliArc and tungsten inert gas (TIG). The TIG process came up in 1930’s when the urge to weld the magnesium became superficial. The new name to these are gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) and the new name turned up very popular in the technical book of welding related subjects.
Now the question comes down to what’s the best tig welder in the market. Confused?
You must be, as there are so many options available because of that the consumers will be bewildered as thinking and having a hard time landing up with no decisions. Which will be a good tig welder to suit the need? As of now, there are multiple options. I’ll help you out with some of the best tigwelder under 2000 amps which will be cost efficient as well, let’s start with
Ø Forney 322 140-Amp Multi-Process Welder
- Hobart EZ Tig 165i
- Miller Maxstar 150 Tig
- Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG 200
These are some of the most top rated and the best tig welders also are a big saver on one’s pocket and do the job without giving any budget issue.
TIG WELDING PRINCIPLE
The tig welding works on the assumption as the arc welding works upon in this process a high-intensity arc is created in the midst of electrode and workpiece. Normally in the tig welding, the workpiece is connected to positive whereas electrode is connected to the negative terminal. Heat energy is produced by the arc which is then used by the fusion welding to join the metal piece by fusion welding. In this process, the shielding gas is utilized for the protection of weld surface from oxidization. In this welding, metals are fused together
Types of equipment used in Tig welding
- Argon gas bottle
- The cover gas starter kit
- Safety starter kit
- Torch Stand
- Torch and Electrode Kit
- Torch Cable
- Ground Cable
The power source used by Tig:
The most important part of any tig welder is the power source, basically, it is the component through which the tig welder houses it’s potential energy to work. The electric current of high power is required for the tig welder to work. AC and DC tig welder can work on both irrespective of the availability or absence of either one of them. Depending upon the type of material on which the work is going on let’s say stainless steel, mild steel, copper, titanium, nickel alloy in these cases DC current is used and on the other hand for metals like aluminum, an aluminum alloy including magnesium. The whole welder consists of a transformer a rectifier and a whole lot of control buttons
Advantages and Disadvantages:
Just like any electronic equipment having its own advantages and disadvantage or can be termed as merits and demerits
Let’s list down the advantages first: Pros of tig welder
- The best home tig welder hands over stronger joints as compared to shield arc welding.
- The joints created by tig welder is far better as well as rustproof or in other words, is corrosion resistant and is ductile
- The tig welding provides greater accuracy with the joint formed
- It is alteration/modification proof.
- Tig welding comes under a fully automated process
- It is highly suitable for welding and working on thin sheets.
- Tig welding avails the work a better and smooth surface finish because weld sparks damage the surface
- Immaculate joints can be formed as non-consumable electrode being used.
- Welding parameters can be more efficiently controlled while compared to other types of welding.
- In tig welding, AC, as well as DC current, can be used for operations.
Similarly, electronics/ equipment have its own demerits we call them disadvantages
- Only metals which have a high density of 5mm could be weld with the Tig welding pieces of equipment
- For a person to work efficiently, smoothly on the best welding helmet for the tigand machine as well as to achieve good productivity while working on the tig welder a person needs to achieve a high labor skill which may consume a lot of time
- The cost of tig welding setup is comparably higher than that of the arc welding setup
- It’s a time killer process which is very slow
Tig welding applications
Tig is abbreviated as Tungsten Inert Gas is considered as the basic strategy that is involved making use of tungsten electrode that is probably one of the best ways to heat the metals which are being welded. However, it is essential to protect the welding from contaminations. This can be processed only making use of inert gases that play a very important role thereby protecting the welding process. And of course, the best tig welder has many brilliant applications because of its versatility and also give you more visibility. This can be used along with different metals where the application of the Tig welding has become one of the essential things in most of the industries including automobile industry, aerospace and many more. So let us now start knowing about its applications.
- In automotive:
In order to ensure safety as well as security during construction of automobiles, it is essential to make use of this tig welding process. Perhaps making best gas for tig welding process will enable the vehicle to stand the test of times. In addition to that, it has many benefits where it will drastically help in reducing the corrosion and will also eliminate rusting of body parts. In all possible ways, the welding is ensured in order to make confirmation that the vehicle is well-constructed keeping in mind safety and security of the users.
- Repairing services:
In most of the repairing services, the best home tig welder makes use of these building services. There is a number of repairing applications that make use of the welding to get the repair done. Right from the process of fixing till repair, it has unique application.
For both the aircraft as well as the spacecraft Constructions the tig welding place a very important role. Considering the best tig welder for beginner commercial aircraft that are used on regular basis of an require strong fixation that is only possible through the tig welding technique. This is to ensure that either the aircraft as well as the spacecraft are fully constructed with durability.
- Bicycle industry:
The use of tig welding a process is often employed in most of the industries among which bicycle industry is one of them. It is frequently employed in order to build small diameter as well has thick wall tubing welding. And of course, Other industries also make use of this process since the welding is smooth and sounds with fewer scatters.
As the welding process is considered to be the superior in terms of cosmetic appear in this will have ever help in giving most stronger and efficient results. So when do consider the best tig welder under 1000 and any artwork then it requires industrial fixation that is possible only by making use of tig welding process.
As already said in a number of industries the process is used in order to join metals that include stainless steel, aluminum, copper, aluminum bronzes, nickel and nickel alloys, titanium, tin, silicon, and cast iron. However, it has to find used in many Industries thereby giving a wide range of applications.
How a tig welder works and when to tig weld?
First, let us get started by knowing about what is tig welding this is nothing but a process that is involved in order to weld something especially metals. So now it is essential to know how the welders actually work on it. The actual process is started as per the methods are given below.
- Choosing the electron:
First, the welder will learn something regarding the electrode so that they can very easily choose the best one. In fact, there are many different varieties of electrodes available in Aluminium is one of the best electrodes to sustainability maintains progressive results.
- Grinding the electrode:
After the selection of electrode has been completed then it needs to get ready by grinding it. For this, the tip of the aluminum electrode is heated in order to make it into the desired shape. While doing so it is essential to make use of the best welding helmet for tig as this will help in preventing from accident issues.
- Inserting the electrode:
After that, the electrode will be inserted into its collect. This process needs to be taken properly as it requires proper care and attention apart from that the screwing as well as unscrewing need to be done carefully.
Now it’s time for the welder to choose the settings of the TIG welding machine. Depending upon the type of the welding process it is essential that the vendor should consider the accurate settings to make the process more efficient. All the settings are however professionally known to the welders so they will instantly keep accurate precision over it.
- Turn on gas:
It is essential that the vendors should know about the best gas for tig welding as this will help in enabling the process very easy. In most of the cases, Argon gas is used this is especially true in the case of aluminum electrodes. Underscore in order to keep the building from becoming more corrosive.
- Preparing metal with welding table:
Of course, this is one essential step where the large metal area is required in order to extract the electric flow through the metals. The process is carefully executed by the vendors. You have to be careful while growing about the best tig welder for a beginner especially if you are not well experienced in order to handle it for the very first time.
- Final process:
It needs to be checked thoroughly with the final process is implemented to check up on to know its accuracy. After that, it is given final touch and also start weld pool by jamming down the pedal fast to form a weld pool and finally, the process will be completed.
It is even essential to know about the best tig welder under 500 as this will help in specifying the best time to tig weld. This will have ever between completely based upon the application and in case if there are any joints that need to be formed. However, it is the responsibility of the welder to take care of it. Apart from that, you can also find some exclusive and the best tig welder under 1000 which are truly helpful for you.