Prevention is better than cure, and this saying is absolutely true in the context of welding helmets. Introduced by a Swedish manufacturer in the year 1981, an auto-darkening welding helmet is a protective headgear that safeguards the eyes, face, and neck against flames generated during any sort of welding.
These helmets are actually considered necessary for protecting the eyes as they might undergo severe damage resulting in Eye Cornea Inflammation for being exposed to radiations. In fact, radiations that are emitted out of welding carry possibilities to damage the retina, and welders, therefore, put on these protective helmets to avoid loss of vision.
The best auto darkening welding helmet come equipped with an Electronic LCD Shutter with a sensor. These sensors detect the light intensity based on which auto darkening is provided. The best thing about auto-darkening welding helmets is that it improves your work efficiency by keeping you hands-free. Welding, therefore, will no more seem to be risky if you wear an auto-darkening welding helmet of high quality.
Top 8 Auto Darkening Welding Helmets Reviews
1. Antra AH6-260-0000 – A Versatile Auto-Darkening Helmet
- Who could imagine a welding helmet to be so versatile like this high-tech one from the house of Antra? With a super-fast, responsive capacity, this protective headgear is just awesome for several reasons.
- Just like its lightweight body and compact size can make welding a hassle-free job, it accomplishes multiple functions like cutting and grinding apart from welding at the same time. Being an ideal upgrade for goggles, Antra AH6-260-0000 results in a crystal clear vision and assures optimum protection to the eyes. Antra has done a fabulous job in introducing this amazing headgear from the AH6-260 series that will now give one the pleasure to weld for hours.
- To be very honest, affordability will hardly matter in comparison to the plethora of features this welding helmet has brought for its users. Right from its UV/IR protection and automatic power ON/OFF to adjustable knob and power off delay time, this welding helmet is a champ in the world of welding appliances.
- In terms of size, it is also quite compact that makes it easier to store post welding hours. What’s also amazing is that it responds faster to electric arc from Plasma, MIG, MMA or TIG applications. So, just forget those conventional masks that hardly used to give protection, resulting in corneal damage. With these incredible welding helmets, your eyes have no chances to confront those deadly radiations. So, whether it’s a DIY at home or at some weird location, Antra AH6-260-0000 would just make your day.
- Now, what could be a better deal if you are getting a welding helmet with an exceptional auto darkening performance along with an adjustable strap at a pocket-friendly price? Just grab it and be a happy welder because it is not the most expensive welding helmet.
2. Variable-Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet –Smart and User-Friendly
- What welders hate is the repeated process of wearing on and off helmets. Auto-darkening helmets will just eliminate the use of hands, thereby adding high efficiency to your work. Furthermore, just imagine the presence of those adjustable knobs that would make it so easier to use while welding.
- A good number of these helmets are so sturdy for being made of high-impact nylon.Even the colors, the shades, the designs and the look are just too good in comparison to those typical welding helmets. Those odd places where welding becomes a challenge, an auto-darkening helmet would surely be a savior. This modern welding helmet not only qualifies everything that has been described here but also comes equipped with a replaceable sweatband.
- If you are, therefore, looking for top welding helmets that perfectly synonymize with value for money, this one surely will make you fall for it. With a lightning-fast 1/25,000-second switch time, it would take seconds to darken the lens automatically so that you can start welding as soon as possible.
- Auto-darkening welding helmets are making news among the welders in bringing them unmatched comfort and super protection, which the majority has been longing for. A lot of old welders have been found to be happy in bidding goodbye to those traditional passive helmets.
- With advanced lens and premium quality material, auto-darkening helmets are proving to be worth every penny. In fact, unlike the old ones, the new ones are now solar powered while some come equipped with batteries. The shade range has what made the difference in opting for such new age helmets that will now add more efficiency to welding. Convenience, moreover, will also not bother welders no matter how long they will go on welding.
3. Flexzion Auto Darkening Helmet – When Welding Turns Into Pleasure
- Welding was never so pleasurable and safe just like what it has been now with the launch of auto-darkening helmets. Flexzion, the acclaimed brand in the world of mask tools, has brought another stunning headgear for welders who can now assure more safety while working.
- This auto-darkening helmet comes solar powered and is made of super solid materials that make it quite sturdy. In comparison to old welding helmets, this one scores high for being fire retardant. Moreover, what welders have appreciated about it is its instant service, that is, it does not take time to start its work. Besides, its ultra-light, circuit design makes it quite convenient to wear so that one can work pleasantly.
- Just imagine the pain of flipping up and down a welding helmet between its torch placements, and this auto darkening helmet completely eliminates this pain. Consequently, work productivity gets a big boost. Moreover, the required start and stop time is reduced for the auto-darkening filter unlike what happens in case of passive helmets.
- Even the need for rework as well as grinding is also reduced with the increase in torch placement accuracy. In fact, this has helped a lot of welders in saving not only time but also money and effort largely. What is now making more and more welders fall for it is its lightweight body, compact size, a large view area, high UV protection ability and response time.
- So, be it gas shielded welding or arc welding, this lightweight auto-darkening welding helmet from Flexzion will be ideal for all types of work. The fact that your eyes and skin will stay miles away from UV radiations makes this auto darkening helmet worth buying.
4. Audew Adjustable Auto Darkening Solar Welding Helmet –Combination Of Power And Efficiency
- Technology has gone to such heights that welding helmets are now made to darken in seconds. Audew has brought one such incredible auto darkening helmet that would make your welding hours effortless. Apart from the usual function that all ordinary welding helmets serve, this is an advanced one that not only runs on solar power but has the ability to adjust external light automatically.
- New, as well as experienced welders, have liked its capacity to work for high-temperature soldering operations as well as its flexibility to work for various grinding and welding options. Convenience, moreover, is unlimited with this new-age headgear as it covers the entire head and ensures complete protection against sparks and flashes.
- One of the major challenges that welders used to face earlier was regarding vision. Those passive face masks had poor viewing angles that compelled welders to take them off quite often in the midst of work. Therefore, efficiency too was a big question then.
- This auto-darkening welding helmet, in contrast, has a wide viewing area of 3.62 x 1.66 inches that leaves no doubts in terms of monitoring your work carefully. Furthermore, its fully automatic shutdown feature simply frees you from the hassle to adjust the mask every time. So, you are hands-free and your welding gets a new edge.
- What makes this Audew Auto Darkening Solar Welding Helmet also stands out is its exclusive look with the image of an eagle on an American flag. If welders wish to put on a trendy look, this welding mask will certainly play a key role as these are custom airbrushed welding helmets. Equipped with a flip-up face for hassle-free adjustment, it’s no doubt the best bet for professionals as well as newbies. Don’t worry about its price as it is absolutely feasible.
5. Audew Solar Auto Darkening Helmet –A New Gift for Welders
- After occupying a special place in the world of welding tools and accessories, Audew has come up with another outstanding face protection mask that will now give welding a new dimension, no matter how odd the place is. With the addition of auto-darkening feature along with several others, this world-class protective welding mask will completely shed off the need to use your hands.
- Its various shades and adjustable sensitivity have made it so user-friendly that you will hardly feel the pain to work. In fact, its wide viewing screen will let you observe your work with more concentration. What’s more amazing is that its auto-darkening lens will let it darken automatically and that also according to its chosen shade number after detecting the light.
- Powered by solar cell along with a replaceable lithium battery backup, this stylish yet super-efficient welding helmet stays active throughout your welding hours. Moreover, these top welding helmets are made of such quality materials that they gain high strength and are flame retardant too.
- Just imagine how beneficial a welding helmet can be if it is made to work in all types of temperature settings. This means that it has the capability to perform in both low and high temperatures. Besides, you don’t need to worry about skin complications as it is anti-aging and prevents resistance as well.
- If you, therefore, had been facing big issues with your old, passive welding helmet, it’s high time to discard it and bring on this anti-darkening one, which is not among the most expensive welding helmets. You don’t need to burn a hole in your pocket to afford this power-packed performer from the house of Audew. Just wear it and have fun welding throughout the day.
6. Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet – High On Clarity And Protection
- The 21st century has witnessed major advancements in the world of welding tools and accessories, especially by discarding old, drab and poor quality face masks and bringing in feature-rich, convenient and user-friendly auto-darkening welding helmets.
- Jackson Safety, the name that has been doing wonders in manufacturing high-quality welding tools and accessories, is now back with another smart protective headgear for welders who can now turn long and hectic hours of welding into pleasant hours of quality work. With the best EN379 ratings, the auto-darkening filter lens of the helmet ensures optical clarity, angular dependence, varying luminous transmittance and diffusion of light. With these perks, welders will be able to enjoy crystal clear view and that also at different angles.
- What makes it a preferred option for welders is that it comes with a varying shade ranging from 9 to 13. This works as a shield and therefore protects the wearer’s eyes from those harmful ultra-violet rays during various welding works. Whether it is TIG welding, MIG welding or Arc welding, its delay and sensitivity settings will make it easier to operate in various environments and task durations.
- Furthermore, this modern helmet is high on convenience owing to its lightweight body and plastic shell of high density unlike what welders used to consider earlier. Probably, this was one of the reasons why most of them considered welding the most tedious job in the world. Now, wearers will not only have their eyes covered but also ensure equal protection to their forehead, neck, and ears as well.
- So, if you are wondering whether buying Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet would be called a deal, don’t wonder anymore and grab it for future use. Happy Welding!!
7. Dekopro Auto Darkening Helmet – The Fatigue Eliminator For Welders
- Dekopro once again brings on a value-centric welding helmet for sale that would attract welders in good numbers. The first striking factor as to why it has been called value-centric is the ability of its auto-darkening filter to take 1/25000 sec in order to switch from light to dark.
- Technology has undergone such major improvements so as to not only strengthen efficiency at work but also ensure complete safety to welders. This lightning fast speed has brought smiles to professional welders who will now stay away from falling prey to UV rays while taking pleasure in welding. Apart from these, it meets both EN3794/9-13 and ANSIZ87.1 standards. So, what can be a safer and smarter choice than this?
- Equipped with a dual mode of grinding and welding, choices will be left for welders to pick from the weld and grind modes. So, whether you are into TIG, MIG or Arc welding, this auto darkening helmet is sure to leave you impressed. In fact, your impression will be sustained when the filter’s light level, that is DIN4, will be set from 0.1 to 1.0 second, which means from dark to bright.
- Next to talk about is its clear viewing angle that covers an area of 3.86 x 3.15 inches. This results in such clinical viewing that it will not make you run out of concentration, even for a couple of seconds. Fatigue too is assured to stays miles away owing to its adjustable headgear. Weighing 1 LB, this blue colored helmet is light in weight that will never make you feel tired despite performing those tough welding assignments.
- Wherever you are, be it in food and beverage manufacturing or metal production or military maintenance, this solar powered helmet will stay strong up to 5000 hours, bringing you both safety and efficiency at work.
8. Sun Yoba Auto Darkening Welding Helmet – A Blend of Comfort and Protection
- Sun Yoba finally unveils its feature-rich and innovative welding accessory with the prime intention to tighten safety for the new generation welders. Being a reasonable alternative to the pricey welding helmets, the brand has introduced a more advanced one that can be automatically darkened for long hours of quality welding.
- Scoring high on both durability and user-friendliness, Sun Yoba Auto Darkening lightweight Welding Helmet has been highly appreciated by a huge percentage of welding professionals who are no more concerned about their safety as well as work efficiency. In comparison to passive helmets, these auto-darkening helmets have proved to be amazing in terms of their compatibility and comfort.
- With a large viewing window of 92.5 x 42.5 mm, Sun Yoba auto-darkening welding helmet is no doubt turning out to be the best welding helmet, especially for those who slog for almost the entire day. Apart from enabling clear vision, it keeps your eyes protected from UV rays and IR light.
- What makes it an amazing product is its swift response time of 0.15 to 0.2 ms while its delay time ranges from 0.1 S to 1.2 S. Its shade can be adjusted from 9 to 13, which means that it carries the capacity to operate from being the lightest to the darkest. Moreover, it comes with an adjustable knob that makes it easier to operate while welding.
- Hands-free welding will now be a pleasure with this Lithium-battery powered helmet that also comes equipped with a solar backup. No matter how uneven the place is, these best welding helmets will promise to ensure comfort and protection for all who are into welding.
9. Welding Helmet, Black, 3350 Series
If you are searching for safety helmet then the Lincoln Electric Welding 3350 Series is truly the best one. This is one of the premium range welding helmets that is made in order to provide complete protection. It is made of the lens with perfect 1/1/1/1 optical clarity rating. You will also find different shade settings that range between 9 and 13. Moreover, it is an auto-darkening welding helmet that never has any restrictions especially when you reach beyond the standard occupation regarding the safety that it provides. The helmet is operated with a Lithium battery that is provided when you purchase it from the retail stores. There are many interesting features incorporated into it like visual clarity, help regarding the headgear, aerodynamic design and so on. Moreover, it has welding gear that ensures the product has a long life. Adding to this it also has the capacity to protect your thighs against harmful sparks.
- It has larger view area and the clarity of the lens make it very easy for you to view it.
- The helmet is provided with 4 senses that ensure it is responsive and well protected.
- The only disadvantage is that due to its Shiny black surface it may be subjected to scratche
10. Jackson Safety SmarTIGer Variable Auto-Darkening (ADF) Welding Helmet with Balder TechnologyA product from Jackson Black SmarTIGer that is well known as auto-darkening welding helmet with blader technology. This is a high-quality helmet which has optical lens integrated into it. Considering the technology lens is incorporated with unrivaled that enables you to provide clarity as well as full-color recognization. The different shade options range between 9 to 13 along with that it also has torch cutting mode. You will find this helmet with a warranty of 5 years and ensures complete protection. It has Incredible features that make it suitable for professionals. The helmet is available with a welder that you can very easily choose different modes and is also very easily compatible with HLX100 and HSL 100 shells. It has auto dimming sensors, delay adjustment, sensitivity and digital control which can be controlled very easily.
- It has an extensive design that ensures complete protection without causing any harm.
- The helmet is available with a computable headband that can be adjusted very easily.
- You can experience a larger viewing area available with additional accessories.
- Due to its slow switching speed, it might be difficult to handle it.
11. Esab SENTINEL A50 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The ESAB Sentinel A50 is truly a professional helmet that has an auto-darkening feature that ranges between shades of about 5-13 lens. It is fully digital along with touch screen facility and real color technology is also incorporated into it. The memory settings are also extended where you can experience 9.27 inches of view area. However, this is the topmost rated helmet with the professional touch and also has excellent clarity that is suitable for any of your requirements. The Revolutionary design makes it more comfortable and you can also use different separate memory settings available in it. Along with larger viewing experience, you will also find a high-quality lens that makes you more comfortable. It also provides complete protection and also has excellent features. The standard analog button is also upgraded on Sentinel that has full-featured touch panel which is similar to that of any touchscreen.
- The clarity and the large viewing area are excellent features that you find in this helmet.
- The LCD panel he is available with 8 different memory settings so you can choose anyone that you like.
- The one and only disadvantage associated with this product are that the price makes it Most expensive welding helmets.
11. RHINO LARGE VIEW + GRIND Auto Darkening Welding Helmet –
Well it is really difficult to face welding jobs have ever Rhino large view auto-darkening welding helmet makes the work more easy and comfortable. It provides you complete safety as it has lots of features that provide you more safety. The viewing area is about 10 square inches that are 4″ X 2.6″ so that you can clearly do your job. The auto darkening mode is also available along with grind, that enables you to set darkening mode of your choice. In addition to that, the variation of the shades can be 9 to 13 along with grind mode of 4. However, the interior, as well as the exterior lenses, are completely replaceable which has extra coverage of about 6, 18 and 24 packs. As the design is made of Nylon shell that ensures protection even from ultraviolet and infrared rays.
- A Lightweight welding helmet with more flexibility.
- The product is truly suitable to fit in any job as it supports Mini welding works.
- Available at a low price and is very easy to use.
- It is not well suitable for over headed laser cutting or even different welding applications.
12. Neiko 53847A Industrial-Grade Welding Helmet with Flip Lens
Well, this is one of the best auto darkening welding helmets which has many interesting features in it. It is too good to be true that the helmet is Industrial graded welding types which have a flip-up lens designed to ensure safety. It is light in weight and also has well-balanced specifications along with the facility to make you feel comfortable. You can very easily adjust the headband into different ways and fit the right one. It is compliant with ANSI Z87.1-2010 and CE EN175 which provides safety for your eyes. This is highly recommended helmet for experienced or professional workers. The product is also available at reasonable price and also has different settings that can be adjusted in order to make you feel more easy to work with it. Additionally, it also has many interesting features.
- The viewing area of 4 x 2.6 inches ensures clear vision.
- You can very easily switch to the grind mode and also has distinctive benefit in the helmet for the user.
- Flexible to work from different angles.
- The only disadvantage is that it lands behind the design and has a fancy pattern.
How To Choose Best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
When it comes to choosing the best welding helmets, the user needs to ensure that they must blend comfort with protection. Apart from its key objective to keep your eyes safe from harmful radiations, a good quality auto-darkening welding helmet would also add efficiency to your work. Besides, its material would also determine its comfort level and keep you at ease while working.
Now, let’s go through the checklist and find out the key aspects while buying an auto darkening welding helmets
Is it easy to wear?
An easily adjustable helmet is always a major preference among those who are into welding jobs. If you are one of them, choose to wear such a helmet that will keep you comfortable all day long. However, new-age welding helmets come equipped with padded front strap covers that make them quite comfortable to wear for long hours.
Is it light in weight?
An eight to twelve-hour job requires wearing lightweight gears, especially for those who consider welding their bread and butter. So, an auto-darkening welding helmet must be extremely light in weight so that it does not cause pain to the neck and minimize fatigue. This would help you concentrate on your job instead of making you compromise on your comfort. The lighter the helmet, the higher the comfort, and hence, the higher the efficiency.
Does it meet the standard lens size?
A good auto darkening welding helmet must have a standard lens size of 2 x 4 inch. If the lens size is this big, you will not have problems in seeing things clearly. Consequently, this would never affect the quality of work. Also, a big lens size is certainly a necessity as it might require one to work in cramped spaces and often at weird angles. So, an auto-darkening welding helmet of a bigger lens size is always an advantage.
Does it give you a clear vision?
Welding helmets must have a clear vision and this is no doubt a very important thing to consider. Four things must be assured in regard to a helmet’s visual clarity – Diffusion of light, Accuracy of Vision, Angular Dependence and Consistent Shade. For this, you can take help of an expert while determining the lens quality and proceed accordingly to buy the helmet.
Does it have the right shade range?
It all depends on the type of welding that you need to choose the right shade range. As far as an auto darkening helmet’s resting state is concerned, it ranges from three to four. This makes it easier for you to gear up the weld and start off just where you need to. Helmets with torch or grind modes attached are also quite beneficial as you do not require to take them off after work.
Is it user-friendly?
Your work efficiency in welding will largely depend on how easier your helmet operates. Adjustable knobs, digital displays, internal and external controls are some of the factors that will add a good deal of user-friendliness to these types of headgears.
So, keep all these crucial points in mind while heading to buy an efficient auto-darkening welding helmet. No matter for how long you weld, you are sure to stay safe with this strong, protective shield.
The lenses are too expensive which make it the Most expensive welding helmets.
Different Welding Helmets
Welding is a type of work that needs a strong vision, utmost concentration, and extreme carefulness. So, if you really want to acquire mastery in welding, you must have good welding helmets that would play the key role in strengthening your efficiency.
Well, welding helmets are available in different shades ranging from 9 to 13, that is, from the lightest to the darkest. To be more precise, a MIG welder of around 175 amps would usually require a lens shade of around 9 or 10. Whereas, a lens shade of 11 to 13 would be perfect in sync with a high-powered welder of 400 amps. So, the type of helmet you choose will always depend on the type of welding you will be doing.
Finally, if you are heading to find the right type of welding helmet, you will usually come across two types:
* Passive Welding Helmet
- High on durability, Passive welding helmets are known to last long, no matter how frequent and under what circumstances you wear them. They usually come equipped with a 10-lens shade that does not undergo any change, irrespective of whether you are working or not.
- Passive welding helmets are also quite user-friendly as they can be easily taken on and off. What you need to lower the helmet is simply nod your head and lift it once manually to complete your task. However, the user must be careful while working with such a helmet as it should never be taken off while being still in the process of welding.
- Those who are new to welding must first know how to wear a Passive welding helmet. While working, it has to be opened once to check the work. For this, the welding process has to be stopped while the user has to manually lift up the helmet for inspection. Once the work has been inspected, he can put on the helmet and continue with the work. Passive welding helmets are quite pocket-friendly among the inexpensive protective headgears.
* Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- If you are looking for advanced welding helmets with loads of features and user-friendly settings, auto-darkening welding helmets are a confirmed winner.
- As per the name, these welding helmets are compact in size and designed to get dark automatically while detecting a bright welding arc. What makes these helmets stand out is their ability to keep your eyes protected even if the lens is not active. At this stage, the resting shade ranges around 3 to 4, keeping your skin and eyes safe.
- Just as the arc is detected by means of the helmet sensor, the auto darkening welding helmet gradually darkens to a shade ranging between 8 and 13. Therefore, your eyes automatically remain protected and you are not required to lift the helmet manually or lower it every time while inspecting work. These welding helmets either come battery powered or in a combination of solar energy and battery. The majority of people engaged in welding jobs today prefer wearing auto-darkening helmets for more convenience and safety.
Tips for caring welding helmets
However, the one and only aim of the welding helmets is to provide you complete protection when you are doing your job. Therefore it is essential for you to choose the best welding helmet. However, there are some tips for caring welding helmets and they are provided here.
Well, one of the biggest mistakes that are often committed by the people is that they do not check the helmet properly. However, it is essential for you to check the helmet and inspect it to know the condition. Concentrate on the lenses, cracks and fix them instantly. Moreover, you can also inspect other parts of the helmet that will help you to know about its condition. If the helmet is faulty then you may not comfortably handle it to do your task. Being comfortable will help you to do your task properly and it will also provide you protection and safety. If you do not inspect the helmet properly then you are most likely to reduce the lifespan of it.
The way in which you store the helmet also impacts its overall performance. Therefore it is highly recommended for you to store it in a proper place. Whenever you are storing your helmet make sure that it is done appropriately and give it complete protection from potential risks. Depending upon the way in which you provide the protection you are most likely to increase the lifespan of the helmet. If you can place it in a proper way so that it is not subjected to any physical damages. Because of the lens is one of the most sensitive parts of the helmet that requires additional protection. If it gets damaged then it leads to further problems where you have to spend lots of money to repair it. Instead of that if you can take proper care at right time then you will be always saving lots of money and extend the life of the helmet.
Repairs and Replacements
Whenever you do a proper inspection then you will know the overall condition of the helmet. This will clearly help you to understand the overall condition of the helmet and if it requires repair or replacement you can go ahead with it. Sometimes getting it repaired maybe a little bit expensive so you can choose it by replacing it with another helmet. Of course, it is your choice and you can truly make it comfortable as per your requirement. In order to replace the parts of the helmet make sure that you purchase them from a trustworthy retailer. This will help you to ensure that the helmet is given long life.
Perhaps cleaning is one of the best care that you have to take in order to ensure that the helmet is always in good condition. However, the cleaning routine for this kind of helmets is always different. You have to handle it properly this can be done by knowing about the way how to clean it. The manufacturers will always provide you with the instructions how to clean and handle it. If you can follow that then it becomes very easy for you to clean the helmets.
History of welding helmets
Welding is truly dangerous occupation and it requires proper care and protection. Because the workers are subjected to sparks, toxic films, and many other injuries. In 1930 the first welding helmet has been introduced in order to provide protection for the welders. Before that people use to make use of different face mask and goggles in order to protect themselves from sparkles. After that the mainstream industrialisation has come up with an idea to provide complete safety. Then the actual shape of the helmet with lenses took place. It not only provides you from the ultraviolet radiations but also eliminates the overall effect of UV radiation especially on the welders. It is too good to be true that Hornell is the first Swedish manufacturing company who came up with world’s first auto darkening helmet.
With the invention of this helmet the market has become alert and everyone started focusing on it. Moreover, it has also concentrated on the safety thereby providing the best protection in terms of everything. This has drastically increased the selling point of this type of helmets. Later on new technologies started taking place and you are now experiencing lightweight welding helmet as well. As the technology keeps on changing from day to day you will be experiencing much more advanced helmets. However the era of helmets has completely changed the way in which you are provided protection. In addition to that love we are experiencing much more advanced helmets including auto darkening, mode setting, and many more.
Risk in welding
Welding is a job where you have to take care of yourself. Since welding is one of such activity that involves the use of high-powered torch which will tell you that there are many dangerous around you. When you directly coming contact with the Flames then it may cause severe damage to your eyes or even face. Therefore it requires lots of protection and is truly one of the riskiest jobs. One of the most dangerous issues is that you may be subjected to lots of heat that are hazardous with welding. Therefore it is essential to know about the risk factors involved in this job and how to overcome them.
Dangerous to eyes
It is true that welding emits intense light which makes have chances to damage your vision. It has a very powerful impact on the eyes which is known as Radiant energy. Perhaps this may affect your vision and you may face the problems. Therefore it requires stronger protection for your eyes, therefore, it is recommended to use high safety measures like helmets. In addition to that, there is also some other protective shield that will give you protection against radiations. And in the same way, there may be a situation where you have to break the surface or even work with the edge of the metals. In such cases, you have to protect yourself as you may not know how the debris from flying into the eyes.
Smoke and fumes
While working the intense heat involved in the process of and produces a smoke and fumes. They may even cause issues damaging your vision. Moreover, the smoke and fumes are emitted in the process are completely different depending on the type of the material that you used while welding. Some of the fumes are truly dangerous like phosgene, nitric oxide, and many more. And there is also need to get in contact with different materials like chromium which may also cause damage to your tissues and also lead to the certain type of cancer. You will also find some best auto darkening welding helmet that you can use in order to protect yourself. Therefore it is highly recommended not to get exposed to the smoke and flames as this may cause uncomfortable irritation to your eyes, throat and even nose.
Fires and explosions
The welding equipment produces a high temperature which is approximately more than that of 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit. However, this will definitely increase the risk factor such as fire and explosions. However, it is your responsibility that you have to protect yourself thereby selecting best helmets and also to inspect the identity in order to find potentially flammable materials. Because there are some materials that are fire resistant that may also called instant fire accident. However, the surrounding should also be fire resistant and you have to ensure everything is completely better. Even the floor must be fire resistant as it needs to be constructed with materials like concrete in order to provide complete protection. Moreover, you have to take care of proper fire suspension equipment including fire extinguishers so that they will help in emergency situations.
Why welding helmet is important
The technology has been completely advanced where you are facilitated to provide complete protection when you work in high-risk jobs like welding. As you work under different circumstances with welding machinery it is expected that you will be subjected to certain risks including electric shocks, sparkling, toxic gases and many more. Therefore it is essential to make use of welding helmets as they will provide you complete safety from anything. No matter what the helmets truly provide protection thereby shielding your face and act just like hand-held, passive one requiring the welder so that you can very easily lift it when required. The helmets are designed with an intention to provide utmost protection and comfort.
The manufacturing process is completely different as each of the manufacturers uses different materials in order to design them. They are designed with dark screen so that there is no chance of reflections. While working you might be subjected to UV and IR radiations as this may damage your eyes and skin therefore it is essential to take proper protection. In addition to that the intense blue light as well as the sparks may also damage your eyes. And even there are some welding operations that truly requires complete protection to the face as they are subjected to intensive light including arc welding, plasma arc cutting and many more. So if you are working with this type of welding works then it is highly recommended to purchase best rated auto darkening welding helmet as this will safeguard you from everything. Moreover you can also get double protection by using helmet along with goggles. In order to gain maximum protection it is recommended to purchase helmets that are a very easy to adjust. The helmets are very much essential as they are also available with different existing boards. It will offer you with better peripheral so that it will be very easy for you to wear them even for an entire day. This will also give you wider view angle so that your job will be done very easily.
There are even some different variety of welding helmets available along with modes like auto darkening, LCD technology and automatic darkening when arc welding begins, for instance and much more. Perhaps it is also essential that you have to pay attention in order to get distinctive marking along with best manufacturer so that they will ensure complete safety with high quality of product. If you can make use of best quality of helmets then no doubt you will be having ultimate protection. This is what you might be looking for when you are in your welding job. However you will be fulfilled getting benefited using such protective items. In addition to that your task becomes more easy and reduces complexity where you can truly focus on your work forgetting about external issues. Finally in order to provide complete safety and protection you have to purchase the best welding helmet and make use of it.
Why I recommend auto-darkening welding helmet
Of course there are many different types of welding helmets available in the market. But most of the people often recommend auto-darkening welding helmet. In fact there are many reasons to choose this type of helmets. It is true that the serious professional welders always considered more advanced auto-darkening helmets. The reason is that it has continuous variable control so that you can very easily adjust the shades ranging from light to dark. Adding to this it will also provide complete protection from harmful light emissions every time you start working with it. Moreover it also has pre-selected shades and is also facilitated with quick changing LCD Technology incorporated with auto darkening cartridges.
Making use of auto-darkening helmets enables you to see everything clearly even when the helmet is in the down position. Therefore it becomes very easy for you to change the settings and inches to the modes as per your requirement. Once the mode has been set it can very easily stay in the position for a long time. The helmets are truly featured with external as well as internal control that will help in controlling different shades. These type of helmets also help in coordinating with you so that you can work comfortably. However when you are selecting helmet make sure that it should provide safety, make you feel comfortable and know about its functionality. All these factors are truly satisfied by the auto darkening helmet so you can ultimately prefer such a type of helmets.
- Welding will now seem to be the world’s easiest and effortless job with an auto darkening helmet that will keep your eyes covered against harmful flames. Whichever welding job you will be undertaking, make sure that you are wearing your helmet properly.
- Also, prior to buying a welding helmet, check its quality to assure that it keeps you comfortable throughout your working hours. Remember, its durability depends largely on its material and the way you wear it. Moreover, the one that covers different types of cutting processes along with having a crystal clear view will certainly be among the auto-darkening welding helmets.
- What you must also check is that it is compatible in size so that you do not find it difficult to wear while working. Now get an advanced auto-darkening welding helmet to have a pleasant working experience and get all your upcoming welding projects accomplished with safety.
Viewing the Eclipse with a Welding Helmet
What is the solar eclipse?
The term eclipse is derived from a Greek word (eclipse) which can be explained as the abandonment/downfall or the blackening of the heavenly body as the sun in the olden days was considered as God so that’s why the term heavenly body is used in the context. In the earlier days, the sun was worshipped by the ancient Greeks. The solar eclipse has multiple definitions and meanings in different aspects like it has a different meaning in astrology, science and also has been described in different ways in different religions. The solar eclipse is nothing but the passing of moon from the sun’s front while blocking it completely or section-ally. The eclipse results in the covering of the various parts of the earth by the moons shade or umbra. In other words, it can be explained as the darkening of the moon resulting in the shadow on earth caused by its (moons) entry.
What does an eclipse do?
In a solar eclipse the moon barricades or thwarts a part of the sun’s disk in other words a solar eclipse is a type of solar eclipse that arises when the moon passes between the earth and the sun and when the moon partially blocks or is fully occulted by the sun
Types of solar eclipses
There are two major types of eclipses Solar Eclipse & Lunar Eclipse
Solar Eclipse: Basically eclipse in simpler terms can be explained as the blockage of the spectator of the sun from the earth because of some other object special object.
Lunar Eclipse: The lunar eclipse is nothing but the turning black resulting to creating a shadow on the planet which is caused by its very own ingression
There are total three subtypes of eclipse namely
- Penumbra eclipse,
- Partial eclipse and
- Total Eclipse
In Penumbra eclipse is the one in which the moon passes earth’s penumbra where as in partial eclipse the earth’s umbra is crossed partially while on the other hand total eclipse can be explained as the crossing of the moon in the earth’s umbra entirely.
What prevents us from the look at the sun during an eclipse?
Staring at the sun directly was never ever safe not in today’s era neither it was in the old times. The 2 things which prevent us from gazing into a sun are as follows:-
- Aversion Reflex
- Solar Retinopathy
Aversion Reflex:Aversion reflex also known as the blink reflex, is an involuntary blinking of the eyelids elicited by stimulation of the cornea the direct gazing at the sun was never safe from the beginning of mankind the human body was made in such a way that luckily our aversion reflex prevents or makes it almost impossible for the human naked eye to even look properly at the solar system’s king. In a solar eclipse, it is even highly more advisable to look at the sun which is not at all a comfortable and intelligent thing to do as we all know what the outcome is. It’s the human nature to see something uncommon and marvelous similar to an eclipse. However one must always remember that a solar eclipse has that potential to blind the person for life so it is advisable to not do any such activity.
Solar Retinopathy: Protracted solar radiation has the potential to destroy retina cells, there’s a condition known as solar retinopathy. Duration of your look at the sun and the position of the sun in the sky will be a deciding factor of how much damage has been caused to you. Solar retinopathy can be simply identified as the suffering person will be having a blurred vision with frequent headaches which comes with sensitivity to light and distorted vision. Even a short span of the exposure can cause tremendous significant retinal damage. When solar retinopathy happens it can also happen with the person without coming to know? As it is painless and the visual effects are unnoticeable even post hours of damage
Can you watch an eclipse with welding helmet?
I guess the answer might be a bit confusing as it is a yes as well as no as If someone tries to watch an eclipse from welding helmet which is inappropriate, the results might not be good the reason behind this is the amount of the light will be able to get through the thick glass of welding helmet which is deemed to be enough to damage your eyesight. The reason why the answer to the question of watching an eclipse with a welding helmet is because the eclipse is such a strong natural phenomenon that the human eyes are not capable of withstanding the sun’s power during an eclipse. Similarly, the answer to this question can be yes also as the eclipse is a natural occurrence that takes place in several years or sometimes decades also so it’s an event not to be missed under any circumstances.
The quest for pertinent eclipse glasses continues after so many years, the people (customers) have opted for going any available alternate option as they have turned welding glasses or welding lenses down the line as an alternative for viewing the eclipse. As you must have heard that NASA on their eclipse website has approved the shade 14 welding glass lens as the only option alternate for viewing the eclipse. Similarly the NASA has also said on one of his blog that for viewing the eclipse welding lens used of grade 10 and 11 are inappropriate as they are extensively and most commonly used by the welders for their welding helmet at their job, which means shade 10 and 11 glass are a bad option to be considered as an alternate solution for eclipse glasses. This means if a person has a welding helmet or welding glass at home it may not be bedecked with appropriate for viewing an eclipse as in most of the cases it is seen that the welder’s lenses are not even bearing a standardization tag which baptizes that particular shading the lens.
What could be the consequence of not using the inappropriate lens?
Well this question often comes to some people when they are talking about looking at THE SUN with a wrong lens just to save a few dollars as the grade 10 and 11 comes at not more than 12 dollars apiece whereas the grade 14 welding lens will cost a person, not more than somewhere around a rough figure of 15 dollars to 17 dollars. Well, the renowned ophthalmologist named Stephen Franklin said in an interview that there could be some serious consequences of lesser grade welding shade lens. The grade 14 lens are available at e-commerce giant Amazon. Kim Menard a public relations manager in a press meet expressed his view on people using welding glass of his company and stressed on avoiding the usage of the company’s product only for the intended purpose in correspondence to application instructions and safety information of the product.
What the welders have in mind behind this idea or breakthrough regarding the use of welding lens?
What do the welders say about this any guesses?
Regarding the use of welding helmet for viewing an eclipse, one of the auto darkening welding helmets welders said that it is totally acceptable and understood the eagerness of the people behind not willing to miss ECLIPSE but they said that the lens 13 is the best and pretty hard to find, whereas 12 and 14 are more common but 14 are practically impossible to get hands on during or before an eclipse because all the people are running behind the 14. The welders concluded by saying that people just break out of your sleep and sense the Fool-Aid.
Another welder said that after analyzing everything he could find on the topic he said you need a 14 and you can’t stack the lenses. He said he’d better use a binoculars to project the image on a paper so if you have some old binoculars rotting in a corner you can use them for a long span of time or one can set the binoculars to set them up and cover the lenses while you can give it a look to see whether it’s working fine and after you are done you can let them cool off or else one can use an old shoe box and create a pinhole camera. As these methods are completely free which were made up of the supplies that lie around you but at the very same time it is time-consuming as well,
Another welding expert stated that they suggest that welding lens can be used for eclipse viewing but try to do that while keeping one thing in mind that the welding glass should be of the highest number. The welding glass of shade 12 or higher can be a good choice as you are going to see the sun directly with your eyes as these come generally with a higher or in other words darker lens which is available in the market but with high prices and slight minute differences. Or else if you have old welders mask in the house you can use it for the solar eclipse viewing but before you do that make sure you have enquired about the glass and the shade number whether it is 12 or 14. But if in any case, it appears that you have a welding mask with the glass shade less than 12 don’t even think about using them to look directly at the sun. As even in the shade number 12 people find the sun way too bright whilst some of them find it is too dim in the shade 14. Concluding his view he said that according to him 12 is the lowest safe, just avoid using anything less than 12 i.e. 10 or 5
A welding expert whereas on the other side expressed his view regarding the use of welding mask to view eclipse, seems that this was being over thought. First, you need to snag a welding helmet which should also have a lens shade of your choice. After that look at the sun, feeling it’s too bright for a comfortable view? And if the answer is no, then I guess it’s your lucky day enjoy the view
What comes to your mind when we are talking about Sun? Huge, powerful, bright, never-ending source of energy, source as well as the reason of life on earth etc. Now would you play with something which is having all the above qualities as well as features and apart from that is a source of never-ending energy? All of us when we’re young was guided not to play with fire. In this article people are not playing with fire anymore instead they are playing with the biggest ball of fire and when one plays with fire, there are high chances that the person may burn himself as well as people around him as well. So basically one must try sticking to the methods which are approved and tested by the concerned authorities. When it comes to crazy, people have already crossed a milestone regarding that especially when it comes to trying alternate ways instead of the as usual common ways, people seemed to be bored while accepting them again as in the people hate to repeat what others been doing lately. This can be related to many aspects of people’s life as for communication the whole world was using Email as a medium but when Jan Koum, the founder of WhatsApp rolled out with the app people not just liked it they actually loved it the most which can be proven by the total number of WhatsApp active users around the globe. Similarly, people were I think so fed up with the use of eclipse glasses so in the quest of doing something out of the box which was the use of welder’s mask as an alternative way to look at the sun. As in some articles, it is written as an inappropriate method while in some articles it’s stated as a smart way to come around. While reading these article one can assume that people don’t care what they are dealing even with if it’s a sun, sorry let me correct myself “THE SUN “they don’t get the feeling of something indifferent they are sure to dislike it whether a product or a service. Concluding it with what I saw in the article is SUN and the ECLIPSES are a beautiful natural phenomena needed to be enjoyed to the fullest but the thing which is more important is not risking ourselves with silly things like welding glasses which barely costs a few dollars against the precious eyes given by God to us which only God can give us rather than the implants.