Prevention is better than cure, and this saying is absolutely true in the context of welding helmets. Introduced by a Swedish manufacturer in the year 1981, an auto-darkening welding helmet is a protective headgear that safeguards the eyes, face, and neck against flames generated during any sort of welding.
These helmets are actually considered necessary for protecting the eyes as they might undergo severe damage resulting in Eye Cornea Inflammation for being exposed to radiations. In fact, radiations that are emitted out of welding carry possibilities to damage the retina, and welders, therefore, put on these protective helmets to avoid loss of vision.
The best auto darkening welding helmet come equipped with an Electronic LCD Shutter with a sensor. These sensors detect the light intensity based on which auto darkening is provided. The best thing about auto-darkening welding helmets is that it improves your work efficiency by keeping you hands-free. Welding, therefore, will no more seem to be risky if you wear an auto-darkening welding helmet of high quality.
How To Choose Best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
When it comes to choosing the best welding helmets, the user needs to ensure that they must blend comfort with protection. Apart from its key objective to keep your eyes safe from harmful radiations, a good quality auto-darkening welding helmet would also add efficiency to your work. Besides, its material would also determine its comfort level and keep you at ease while working.
Now, let’s go through the checklist and find out the key aspects while buying an auto darkening welding helmets
Is it easy to wear?
An easily adjustable helmet is always a major preference among those who are into welding jobs. If you are one of them, choose to wear such a helmet that will keep you comfortable all day long. However, new-age welding helmets come equipped with padded front strap covers that make them quite comfortable to wear for long hours.
Is it light in weight?
An eight to twelve-hour job requires wearing lightweight gears, especially for those who consider welding their bread and butter. So, an auto-darkening welding helmet must be extremely light in weight so that it does not cause pain to the neck and minimize fatigue. This would help you concentrate on your job instead of making you compromise on your comfort. The lighter the helmet, the higher the comfort, and hence, the higher the efficiency.
Does it meet the standard lens size?
A good auto darkening welding helmet must have a standard lens size of 2 x 4 inch. If the lens size is this big, you will not have problems in seeing things clearly. Consequently, this would never affect the quality of work. Also, a big lens size is certainly a necessity as it might require one to work in cramped spaces and often at weird angles. So, an auto-darkening welding helmet of a bigger lens size is always an advantage.
Does it give you a clear vision?
Welding helmets must have a clear vision and this is no doubt a very important thing to consider. Four things must be assured in regard to a helmet’s visual clarity – Diffusion of light, Accuracy of Vision, Angular Dependence and Consistent Shade. For this, you can take help of an expert while determining the lens quality and proceed accordingly to buy the helmet.
Does it have the right shade range?
It all depends on the type of welding that you need to choose the right shade range. As far as an auto darkening helmet’s resting state is concerned, it ranges from three to four. This makes it easier for you to gear up the weld and start off just where you need to. Helmets with torch or grind modes attached are also quite beneficial as you do not require to take them off after work.
Is it user-friendly?
Your work efficiency in welding will largely depend on how easier your helmet operates. Adjustable knobs, digital displays, internal and external controls are some of the factors that will add a good deal of user-friendliness to these types of headgears.
So, keep all these crucial points in mind while heading to buy an efficient auto-darkening welding helmet. No matter for how long you weld, you are sure to stay safe with this strong, protective shield.
Top 8 Auto Darkening Welding Helmets Reviews
1. Antra AH6-260-0000 – A Versatile Auto-Darkening Helmet
- Who could imagine a welding helmet to be so versatile like this high-tech one from the house of Antra? With a super-fast, responsive capacity, this protective headgear is just awesome for several reasons.
- Just like its lightweight body and compact size can make welding a hassle-free job, it accomplishes multiple functions like cutting and grinding apart from welding at the same time. Being an ideal upgrade for goggles, Antra AH6-260-0000 results in a crystal clear vision and assures optimum protection to the eyes. Antra has done a fabulous job in introducing this amazing headgear from the AH6-260 series that will now give one the pleasure to weld for hours.
- To be very honest, affordability will hardly matter in comparison to the plethora of features this welding helmet has brought for its users. Right from its UV/IR protection and automatic power ON/OFF to adjustable knob and power off delay time, this welding helmet is a champ in the world of welding appliances.
- In terms of size, it is also quite compact that makes it easier to store post welding hours. What’s also amazing is that it responds faster to electric arc from Plasma, MIG, MMA or TIG applications. So, just forget those conventional masks that hardly used to give protection, resulting in corneal damage. With these incredible welding helmets, your eyes have no chances to confront those deadly radiations. So, whether it’s a DIY at home or at some weird location, Antra AH6-260-0000 would just make your day.
- Now, what could be a better deal if you are getting a welding helmet with an exceptional auto darkening performance along with an adjustable strap at a pocket-friendly price? Just grab it and be a happy welder because it is not the most expensive welding helmet.
2. Variable-Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet –Smart and User-Friendly
- What welders hate is the repeated process of wearing on and off helmets. Auto-darkening helmets will just eliminate the use of hands, thereby adding high efficiency to your work. Furthermore, just imagine the presence of those adjustable knobs that would make it so easier to use while welding.
- A good number of these helmets are so sturdy for being made of high-impact nylon.Even the colors, the shades, the designs and the look are just too good in comparison to those typical welding helmets. Those odd places where welding becomes a challenge, an auto-darkening helmet would surely be a savior. This modern welding helmet not only qualifies everything that has been described here but also comes equipped with a replaceable sweatband.
- If you are, therefore, looking for top welding helmets that perfectly synonymize with value for money, this one surely will make you fall for it. With a lightning-fast 1/25,000-second switch time, it would take seconds to darken the lens automatically so that you can start welding as soon as possible.
- Auto-darkening welding helmets are making news among the welders in bringing them unmatched comfort and super protection, which the majority has been longing for. A lot of old welders have been found to be happy in bidding goodbye to those traditional passive helmets.
- With advanced lens and premium quality material, auto-darkening helmets are proving to be worth every penny. In fact, unlike the old ones, the new ones are now solar powered while some come equipped with batteries. The shade range has what made the difference in opting for such new age helmets that will now add more efficiency to welding. Convenience, moreover, will also not bother welders no matter how long they will go on welding.
3. Flexzion Auto Darkening Helmet – When Welding Turns Into Pleasure
- Welding was never so pleasurable and safe just like what it has been now with the launch of auto-darkening helmets. Flexzion, the acclaimed brand in the world of mask tools, has brought another stunning headgear for welders who can now assure more safety while working.
- This auto-darkening helmet comes solar powered and is made of super solid materials that make it quite sturdy. In comparison to old welding helmets, this one scores high for being fire retardant. Moreover, what welders have appreciated about it is its instant service, that is, it does not take time to start its work. Besides, its ultra-light, circuit design makes it quite convenient to wear so that one can work pleasantly.
- Just imagine the pain of flipping up and down a welding helmet between its torch placements, and this auto darkening helmet completely eliminates this pain. Consequently, work productivity gets a big boost. Moreover, the required start and stop time is reduced for the auto-darkening filter unlike what happens in case of passive helmets.
- Even the need for rework as well as grinding is also reduced with the increase in torch placement accuracy. In fact, this has helped a lot of welders in saving not only time but also money and effort largely. What is now making more and more welders fall for it is its lightweight body, compact size, a large view area, high UV protection ability and response time.
- So, be it gas shielded welding or arc welding, this lightweight auto-darkening welding helmet from Flexzion will be ideal for all types of work. The fact that your eyes and skin will stay miles away from UV radiations makes this auto darkening helmet worth buying.
4. Audew Adjustable Auto Darkening Solar Welding Helmet –Combination Of Power And Efficiency
- Technology has gone to such heights that welding helmets are now made to darken in seconds. Audew has brought one such incredible auto darkening helmet that would make your welding hours effortless. Apart from the usual function that all ordinary welding helmets serve, this is an advanced one that not only runs on solar power but has the ability to adjust external light automatically.
- New, as well as experienced welders, have liked its capacity to work for high-temperature soldering operations as well as its flexibility to work for various grinding and welding options. Convenience, moreover, is unlimited with this new-age headgear as it covers the entire head and ensures complete protection against sparks and flashes.
- One of the major challenges that welders used to face earlier was regarding vision. Those passive face masks had poor viewing angles that compelled welders to take them off quite often in the midst of work. Therefore, efficiency too was a big question then.
- This auto-darkening welding helmet, in contrast, has a wide viewing area of 3.62 x 1.66 inches that leaves no doubts in terms of monitoring your work carefully. Furthermore, its fully automatic shutdown feature simply frees you from the hassle to adjust the mask every time. So, you are hands-free and your welding gets a new edge.
- What makes this Audew Auto Darkening Solar Welding Helmet also stands out is its exclusive look with the image of an eagle on an American flag. If welders wish to put on a trendy look, this welding mask will certainly play a key role as these are custom airbrushed welding helmets. Equipped with a flip-up face for hassle-free adjustment, it’s no doubt the best bet for professionals as well as newbies. Don’t worry about its price as it is absolutely feasible.
5. Audew Solar Auto Darkening Helmet –A New Gift for Welders
- After occupying a special place in the world of welding tools and accessories, Audew has come up with another outstanding face protection mask that will now give welding a new dimension, no matter how odd the place is. With the addition of auto-darkening feature along with several others, this world-class protective welding mask will completely shed off the need to use your hands.
- Its various shades and adjustable sensitivity have made it so user-friendly that you will hardly feel the pain to work. In fact, its wide viewing screen will let you observe your work with more concentration. What’s more amazing is that its auto-darkening lens will let it darken automatically and that also according to its chosen shade number after detecting the light.
- Powered by solar cell along with a replaceable lithium battery backup, this stylish yet super-efficient welding helmet stays active throughout your welding hours. Moreover, these top welding helmets are made of such quality materials that they gain high strength and are flame retardant too.
- Just imagine how beneficial a welding helmet can be if it is made to work in all types of temperature settings. This means that it has the capability to perform in both low and high temperatures. Besides, you don’t need to worry about skin complications as it is anti-aging and prevents resistance as well.
- If you, therefore, had been facing big issues with your old, passive welding helmet, it’s high time to discard it and bring on this anti-darkening one, which is not among the most expensive welding helmets. You don’t need to burn a hole in your pocket to afford this power-packed performer from the house of Audew. Just wear it and have fun welding throughout the day.
6. Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet – High On Clarity And Protection
- The 21st century has witnessed major advancements in the world of welding tools and accessories, especially by discarding old, drab and poor quality face masks and bringing in feature-rich, convenient and user-friendly auto-darkening welding helmets.
- Jackson Safety, the name that has been doing wonders in manufacturing high-quality welding tools and accessories, is now back with another smart protective headgear for welders who can now turn long and hectic hours of welding into pleasant hours of quality work. With the best EN379 ratings, the auto-darkening filter lens of the helmet ensures optical clarity, angular dependence, varying luminous transmittance and diffusion of light. With these perks, welders will be able to enjoy crystal clear view and that also at different angles.
- What makes it a preferred option for welders is that it comes with a varying shade ranging from 9 to 13. This works as a shield and therefore protects the wearer’s eyes from those harmful ultra-violet rays during various welding works. Whether it is TIG welding, MIG welding or Arc welding, its delay and sensitivity settings will make it easier to operate in various environments and task durations.
- Furthermore, this modern helmet is high on convenience owing to its lightweight body and plastic shell of high density unlike what welders used to consider earlier. Probably, this was one of the reasons why most of them considered welding the most tedious job in the world. Now, wearers will not only have their eyes covered but also ensure equal protection to their forehead, neck, and ears as well.
- So, if you are wondering whether buying Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet would be called a deal, don’t wonder anymore and grab it for future use. Happy Welding!!
7. Dekopro Auto Darkening Helmet – The Fatigue Eliminator For Welders
- Dekopro once again brings on a value-centric welding helmet for sale that would attract welders in good numbers. The first striking factor as to why it has been called value-centric is the ability of its auto-darkening filter to take 1/25000 sec in order to switch from light to dark.
- Technology has undergone such major improvements so as to not only strengthen efficiency at work but also ensure complete safety to welders. This lightning fast speed has brought smiles to professional welders who will now stay away from falling prey to UV rays while taking pleasure in welding. Apart from these, it meets both EN3794/9-13 and ANSIZ87.1 standards. So, what can be a safer and smarter choice than this?
- Equipped with a dual mode of grinding and welding, choices will be left for welders to pick from the weld and grind modes. So, whether you are into TIG, MIG or Arc welding, this auto darkening helmet is sure to leave you impressed. In fact, your impression will be sustained when the filter’s light level, that is DIN4, will be set from 0.1 to 1.0 second, which means from dark to bright.
- Next to talk about is its clear viewing angle that covers an area of 3.86 x 3.15 inches. This results in such clinical viewing that it will not make you run out of concentration, even for a couple of seconds. Fatigue too is assured to stays miles away owing to its adjustable headgear. Weighing 1 LB, this blue colored helmet is light in weight that will never make you feel tired despite performing those tough welding assignments.
- Wherever you are, be it in food and beverage manufacturing or metal production or military maintenance, this solar powered helmet will stay strong up to 5000 hours, bringing you both safety and efficiency at work.
8. Sun Yoba Auto Darkening Welding Helmet – A Blend of Comfort and Protection
- Sun Yoba finally unveils its feature-rich and innovative welding accessory with the prime intention to tighten safety for the new generation welders. Being a reasonable alternative to the pricey welding helmets, the brand has introduced a more advanced one that can be automatically darkened for long hours of quality welding.
- Scoring high on both durability and user-friendliness, Sun Yoba Auto Darkening Welding Helmet has been highly appreciated by a huge percentage of welding professionals who are no more concerned about their safety as well as work efficiency. In comparison to passive helmets, these auto-darkening helmets have proved to be amazing in terms of their compatibility and comfort.
- With a large viewing window of 92.5 x 42.5 mm, Sun Yoba auto-darkening welding helmet is no doubt turning out to be the best welding helmet, especially for those who slog for almost the entire day. Apart from enabling clear vision, it keeps your eyes protected from UV rays and IR light.
- What makes it an amazing product is its swift response time of 0.15 to 0.2 ms while its delay time ranges from 0.1 S to 1.2 S. Its shade can be adjusted from 9 to 13, which means that it carries the capacity to operate from being the lightest to the darkest. Moreover, it comes with an adjustable knob that makes it easier to operate while welding.
- Hands-free welding will now be a pleasure with this Lithium-battery powered helmet that also comes equipped with a solar backup. No matter how uneven the place is, these best welding helmets will promise to ensure comfort and protection for all who are into welding.
Different Types of Welding Helmets
Welding is a type of work that needs a strong vision, utmost concentration, and extreme carefulness. So, if you really want to acquire mastery in welding, you must have good welding helmets that would play the key role in strengthening your efficiency.
Well, welding helmets are available in different shades ranging from 9 to 13, that is, from the lightest to the darkest. To be more precise, a MIG welder of around 175 amps would usually require a lens shade of around 9 or 10. Whereas, a lens shade of 11 to 13 would be perfect in sync with a high-powered welder of 400 amps. So, the type of helmet you choose will always depend on the type of welding you will be doing.
Finally, if you are heading to find the right type of welding helmet, you will usually come across two types:
* Passive Welding Helmet
- High on durability, Passive welding helmets are known to last long, no matter how frequent and under what circumstances you wear them. They usually come equipped with a 10-lens shade that does not undergo any change, irrespective of whether you are working or not.
- Passive welding helmets are also quite user-friendly as they can be easily taken on and off. What you need to lower the helmet is simply nod your head and lift it once manually to complete your task. However, the user must be careful while working with such a helmet as it should never be taken off while being still in the process of welding.
- Those who are new to welding must first know how to wear a Passive welding helmet. While working, it has to be opened once to check the work. For this, the welding process has to be stopped while the user has to manually lift up the helmet for inspection. Once the work has been inspected, he can put on the helmet and continue with the work. Passive welding helmets are quite pocket-friendly among the inexpensive protective headgears.
* Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
- If you are looking for advanced welding helmets with loads of features and user-friendly settings, auto-darkening welding helmets are a confirmed winner.
- As per the name, these welding helmets are compact in size and designed to get dark automatically while detecting a bright welding arc. What makes these helmets stand out is their ability to keep your eyes protected even if the lens is not active. At this stage, the resting shade ranges around 3 to 4, keeping your skin and eyes safe.
- Just as the arc is detected by means of the helmet sensor, the auto darkening welding helmet gradually darkens to a shade ranging between 8 and 13. Therefore, your eyes automatically remain protected and you are not required to lift the helmet manually or lower it every time while inspecting work. These welding helmets either come battery powered or in a combination of solar energy and battery. The majority of people engaged in welding jobs today prefer wearing auto-darkening helmets for more convenience and safety.
- Welding will now seem to be the world’s easiest and effortless job with an auto darkening helmet that will keep your eyes covered against harmful flames. Whichever welding job you will be undertaking, make sure that you are wearing your helmet properly.
- Also, prior to buying a welding helmet, check its quality to assure that it keeps you comfortable throughout your working hours. Remember, its durability depends largely on its material and the way you wear it. Moreover, the one that covers different types of cutting processes along with having a crystal clear view will certainly be among the auto-darkening welding helmets.
- What you must also check is that it is compatible in size so that you do not find it difficult to wear while working. Now get an advanced auto-darkening welding helmet to have a pleasant working experience and get all your upcoming welding projects accomplished with safety.